What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh go-no-go decisions..

pierre smith

Well Known Member
..started on Saturday and Intellicast(.com) showed a huge squall line across Kentucky and Tennessee so we aborted and looked at Sunday which early on didn't appear much better.

We launched on Monday with the 496 tuned up and flew over at leat 100 miles of fog covered mountains in Georgia and Tennessee and fairly clear further on.

Wednesday was a different story on return to Georgia...it didn't look good in Kentucky and Tn but it slowly became VFR and before the mountains, Brian and I agreed to deviate and head more westerly as the 496 recommended.

For those of you still on the fence about whether or not to buy a 496/696, I can assure you that it is/was the best decision I ever made and you'll never regret it unless you don't do fairly long cross-countries. It made the return in spite of bad wx in places, a non-event.

Regards

[snip]
For those of you still on the fence about whether or not to buy a 496/696, I can assure you that it is/was the best decision I ever made and you'll never regret it unless you don't do fairly long cross-countries. It made the return in spite of bad wx in places, a non-event.

Regards
If anyone is having problems convincing their wife they need a new Garmin with weather just have them take a flight with Pierre:D Pierre took my wife up for her first small plane ride on a day with a lot of weather in the area. When they landed I was informed "we need one of those Garmin GPS's with weather." I'm just finishing up our new panel with the new 696 front and center.

Thanks Pierre:D

I agree copletely with Pierre. My 496 with XM weather is the best thing going. Flying from Oshkosh back to Texas Tuesday would have been a bad idea if you looked at the weather map, checked radar and got a briefing. As it was, the XM Weather updated every few minutes so I could see where rain and storm cells were. I was able to make timely decisions and made a safe and low-stress trip back. Deviated a little around one storm cell around Columbia, MO and the rest of the way I could see I had lots of alternatives all the way.

Great timing with your post, Pierre. In the past couple days I have decided to make the investment in a 396 with XM WX. Most of my long trips in the past three years since I finished my -9 have involved some kind of crappy weather. My current GPS has no WX or terrain and it's time for a change. I will not take another long trip without as much info as is available.

One more thing...the cursor as a destination.

We had stopped in Danville, Ill. to meet a guy and when we started to go to Blairsville, Ga. in the mountains, a very big cell was perfectly in line with our path. Rather than wait, I used the up/down left/right button to scroll the cursor to the West, until our course line barely touched the West edge of the system and pushed "direct to". Your destination is where the cursor was and we blasted off. As it turned out, because of the slight delay in actual time (I figure it's around 5-10 minutes), we were able to slowly inch toward the East as the CB moved. We could see the monster and as we rounded it, went direct home....invaluable tool.

Regards,

XM Nexrad Outage Yesterday?

I flew back to Houston from OSH yesterday. As I was circumnavigating around an area of storms in Oklahoma and NE Texas, XM Nexrad on my 496 did not update for 55 minutes. It did however continue to get lightning and METAR updates.

XM Weather is great but it be a lot better if it had a minimum limit on quality of service. For instance, I would like to see a guaranteed update every 5 minutes.

Luis Luciani
RV8

..started on Saturday and Intellicast(.com) showed a huge squall line across Kentucky and Tennessee so we aborted and looked at Sunday which early on didn't appear much better.

We launched on Monday with the 496 tuned up and flew over at leat 100 miles of fog covered mountains in Georgia and Tennessee and fairly clear further on.

Wednesday was a different story on return to Georgia...it didn't look good in Kentucky and Tn but it slowly became VFR and before the mountains, Brian and I agreed to deviate and head more westerly as the 496 recommended.

Regards

Very interesting post, since we were headed to Osh on Sunday and came back on Wednesday.

On Sunday, we awoke to see a line of storms from Little Rock, Arkansas all the way up into Virginia. The line was about a hundred miles north of my home field - VPC (Cartersville, GA - Just NW of Atlanta). Despite the radar info, my buddy and I arrived at the airport at about 6:30, packed the airplane and went to the FBO to surf back and forth between about 5 different weather resources on the web.

The plan was to wait until an area in the line began to dissipate, pile in the airplane and head that way without XM but with the assistance of FlightWatch, if necessary. A key was that if an opening presented itself in TN, we were only 30-40 minutes away.

And about 9:30 things started to thin out just north of Huntsville, so we headed that way and confirmed things with the FSS as we got close to Huntsville. Yep, decent VFR into Kentucky and beyond, with just a few showers en-route. So we went that way, got sprinkled on briefly, and didn't see any more rain until Ripon.

At Ripon, the town was getting hammered by a rainstorm when we arrived. We detoured a half mile east, bullseyed the railroad tracks and followed the procedure to an uneventful landing at Oshkosh, followed by a long, long taxi around the whole campus before finally reaching HBC.

And then we enjoyed a couple of excellent days at Oshkosh...

On Wednesday, we briefed at Osh, noted a lot of rain and convective stuff in Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky, plus more slightly SW of Atlanta. We launched at about 10:30 Eastern with the idea that we could detour West and make an end-run around everything except what might meet us near Atlanta.

We stopped in Aurora, IL for fuel, checked weather again and headed South still planning on making an end-run to the West if necessary. In Central IL, we checked in with FlightWatch and updated the tentative plan to include a stop near the Ohio River if there wasn't a VFR corridor free of convection and significant rain.

As we neared the river, we followed up with Flightwatch, and found that the weather had dissipated substantially. There were only a couple of convective areas between us and home, so we pressed on. As it turned out, at 8,500' we were above a couple of scattered/broken layers, but a few tops were near or above our altitude. Those were scattered widely and didn't prevent us from seeing the convective stuff from a long way away and keeping well clear.

None of it posed a problem and we arrived home at a little after 3:00.

No doubt that XM is a wonderful tool, but the FSS has essentially the same information and with some planning, good strategy, and decent tactics, XM isn't an absolute *must*.

But it sure is nice, and I'm always tempted to spend the money for it...

No doubt that XM is a wonderful tool, but the FSS has essentially the same information and with some planning, good strategy, and decent tactics, XM isn't an absolute *must*.

Much of the same info for sure..........

Except with XM, you can keep an eye on the trend of the weather patterns-- in flight for hundreds of miles in all directions. You always know what the weather/ winds are at your destination ( or at least close to it) which could also be hundreds of miles away.

I'll just say that having XM on board, is the tool for instantaneous decision making instead of .... wondering..

It really is much better than the "old way"! Get one! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A/ Garmin 696

Ditto on XM kudos.

Without XM I would never have made some the best trips ever. FSS is fine but I'd rather have the information to interpret myself. They have all too often had to recommend not going or presented an ugly scenario when I later had no problems being careful and using the 396 information to adjust the route and continue the trip.

May not be a "must have" for some but it sure is for me and I'll never go back to "old school" and their increasingly flakey information and presentation as long as this wonderful system is available. If you have the chance to use the multiple briefers at Osh one year you'll be surprised how you can get three completely different stories in less than a half hour in the same room! Good start, but then you need your own data to fly with.

It really is one of those things you can't understand until you've lived with one for awhile on long cross country trips in many various conditions and situations but then you'll wonder how you did without it - though we all obviously have..... :rolleyes:

Back