What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Required Building Documentaion

Geico266

Well Known Member
What kind of build documentation is needed for final inspection? Pictures? Logs?

What is the FAA / DAR looking for E-LSA?

You need some kind of chronological record of what you did. There are no specific rules of how detailed it has to be.
For experimental light-sport you will need to show that you followed the plans exactly without deviation.
For experimental amateur-built you will also need pictures showing that "you" built the aircraft.

You need some kind of chronological record of what you did. There are no specific rules of how detailed it has to be.
For experimental light-sport you will need to show that you followed the plans exactly without deviation.
For experimental amateur-built you will also need pictures showing that "you" built the aircraft.

Any suggestions Mel? What would you like to see as a DAR?

I typically use a spiral notebook. Many people use the plans and just date each procedure. It's not critical as long as there is a chronological record of some kind.

Hours and Notes in Builder Manual

I made notes and recorded building hours in the builder manual. Took about 100 pictures of the building process nothing fancy and the DAR were satisfied. After I started flying went to the local FSDO with the same Documents and got my Repairman Certificate.

Squeak
RV7A
Indiana

In my case at least, the DAR wasnt particualrly interested in builder documentation - I had it out for him but he didnt check it - he was too busy checking for, well, airworthiness. Only an FAA man can sign off for the repairman certificate however, and that is more the part that requires proving to their satisfaction that you were the primary builder. He actually asked ME what documentation I was suppposed to have (there is no standard). He flipped through maybe 25-30 photos I had in a binder, then looked over the plane, asking me several questions about how I had fabricated a few things - basically checking to see if I knew what the heck I was talking about. No problem. My suggestion for both the airworthiness check and repairman cert. is to identify the individuals involved and COMMUNICATE so you are not surpirsed during their visit

erich

documentation

In my case, when I went to the FAA for the repaimen's certificate they did not want to see anything but the form filled out properly. But then, my DAR, Mel, had written a letter stating that he was satified that I had constructed the airplane. Once the FAA guy saw that letter, he just wanted to make sure I had filled out the form properly. Worked for me.

Mel had visited my project several time when inspecting other completed experimentals on our airpark and I had showed him how I was dating and adding notes to the Van's construction manual showing when I completed sections.

I have been diligent in compiling and organizing my documentation as I go. This is what works for me...

1. A three ring binder contains all invoices and receipts, in date order. At the end of the year a insert a lined sheet with all "out of state" purchases that I need to report lack-of-sales-tax info and use that with my yearly tax filings (N.C. State tax filing requirement).

2. A photo album showing a lot of construction with me in the photos.

3. The Builders Log. I use the 'ol college style bound composition notebook. All build activities, dates and times are recorded...similar in concept to your airman's log book. When you open the book, the pages on the RHS are for build activity documentation. The facing page (LHS) is for purchase items ( date, vendor, description, $$ amount). This can be crossed over to the invoice notebook if needed.

Towards the bottom of the "build" side pages, I fill out "total this page", next line is "total previous page" and then the last line entry is "TOTAL". This gives me a running total that I can track easily.

I do total up the build time...I have never totaled up any part of the $$ spent pages.

Quick Build

What if your building a Quick Build, does that get in the way of getting a repairmans certificate? Has anyone been there done that? :confused:

Normally no!

What if your building a Quick Build, does that get in the way of getting a repairmans certificate? Has anyone been there done that? :confused:
But, it can. If the QB kit is on the "approved list" it shouldn't be a problem unless you got professional help. Many of the QB kits are right on the edge of the "major portion" rule so, with any professional help, it is very easy to come in short of the "major portion" requirement.

Nope!

Generally, if you do the amount of work required to allow the airplane to qualify for an experimental amateur built airworthiness certif., then you would also qualify for the repairman's certificate. Many hundreds of RV builders already have.

For my repairman certificate the Houston FSDO wanted to see pictures of me working major components. First I was asked me to produce a picture of me working on the horizontal stabilizer, then a picture of me working on an aileron and so on. They allowed me to show the pictures on a laptop.

Call them and they will give you a list of exactly what they want. When I did it last year it included the pictures, AROW documents, engine and airframe logs and another notarized form saying I built the plane. I think there was another form but I can't remember what it was about. All of this was thoroughly checked.

Luis Luciani
RV8 - 120 hours

I used the Expercraft free web based construction log. Posted photo's to the entries as I went along and printed the pages every few weeks and put them in a binder. The result was a very nice construction log. The DAR did not spend much time with it, but seemed impressed with the detail. The FSDO inspector that gave me my repairmans certificate said it was the best she had ever seen. Expercraft is very easy to use and I would recommend it.

Builder's log requirements

I see a lot of comments stating that the DAR didn't look at my builder's log, or he just glanced over it.
This does NOT mean that you don't need it. It IS required. Many times the inspector just wants to see that you have one. He/she will know after a few minutes of conversation whether or not you built the aircraft. You may not pick up on direct questions, but he/she will know.

My inspection was a bit different

I don't know how many of you have ever had 2 inspectors. On my inspection, the DAR came and started his inspection.

A few minutes later, the local FAA representative from the FSDO showed up. Apparently, the FAA observes the DAR inspector every now and then. Guess what, I was the "every now and then".

It all went well. I had to take care of 2 minor issues which I fixed on the spot.

Ironically, this was a blessing in disguise. I was able to get the paperwork done for the the repairman's certificate as well as get the pink slip done.

Both read the building log from cover to cover, looked at a shoe box of pictures, asked a few building questions, and then had me sign on the dotted line.

About 2 weeks ago, one of my staff at work looks up and says -- "The FAA is on the line for you". WHAT? The worst thoughts went through my mind. It was Jacob from the FSDO office asking me if I could come by and sign the form and the repairman's was mine. "Be there in 30 minutes!" was the response.

The stars must have been right because mine was too easy.

Moral of this story - Takes lots of pictures (yourself in some of them) and keep a decent building log. It doesn't have too be too detailed, just enough to give them an ideal of what you did. A spiral notebook with dates would be sufficient.

Now the funny part. As the FAA guy was leaving, he announced that he was going down the field to ramp check a few folks. And that friends, is another post in itself.

YEP!

They must observe us doing at least one a year. Usually two. But the second one can be something different from an actual inspection.
My last "check" was last week during an S-LSA inspection.
He was impressed that I found two "safety of flight" issues. One was on a critical wing mounting bolt.

Back