What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XC Flying Question

Thor RV10

Based out of Arlington, Wa and typically stay west of the Cascade mountain range after early November until late spring time, mainly due to ice and generally not wanting to get stuck and leaving my RV10 somewhere.

My wife and I are thinking of flying down to Bahamas mid January and back. Anyone flown cross country in January? As an asides, I have flown to Florida and across the country several times, but spring and summer. Am I being paranoid about winter flying?

Thor Mcilrath
Paid dues about a year ago
Arlington, wa KAWO
RV10 2015 935 HOBBS
EFII, ADVANCED PANEL

Winter is a tough time to predict. Usually the issue for IFR flight in winter is icing. I fly back and forth to south florida 6-7 times during the fall and winter seasons from the midwest. I pick the days I want to fly back and forth and still end up with some IFR/IMC on most flights. In the winter, you may have 5 days of bad wx over the distance you are thinking of. If you are flexible with timing you may be able to get a good window.

if weather were more predictable, i would probably fly more from FL to TN during winter months. always seems the Florida/Georgia line is problem during that time period. i was caught in visible moisture, due to poor flight planning on my part, and i had to take an immediate 90 degree turn to get out of that mess. shame on me, but it will never happen again. as bill said, if you have flexibility in schedule, you can find a day to move. icing aint no joke! good looking airplane by the way.

Back