What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root fairing

Arablenz

Has anyone had issues attaching the top wing skin fairing where the fuel tank bracket is? The fuel tank section has you put no dimples in the rear part of the fuel tank attach bracket 1005b and standard nutplates. However you are told to dimple all the holes in the top wing root skin fairing.
Do I remove the standard nutplates and dimple or countersink those three holes ? Thanks.

If I understand correctly what you're articulating....I think you just overlooked Page 18-08, Step 4. Should be straightforward to rectify that.

"Machine countersink the 5 screw holes in the T-00006-L Attach Bracket to fit a piece of aluminum that has been dimples for a #8 flush head screw"​

Thanks.
When I first started building the rv14 I brought the wing kit off a chap who had only completed the tanks so now realise he missed a step. I thought it strange nobody else had an issue. Your blog has been invaluable to me along the way for a first time builder so thank you 14E.

Thanks.
When I first started building the rv14 I brought the wing kit off a chap who had only completed the tanks so now realise he missed a step. I thought it strange nobody else had an issue. Your blog has been invaluable to me along the way for a first time builder so thank you 14E.

I'm glad you find it helpful. Build on!

I just ran into this same issue. Turns out, my QB tank skins and attach brackets were not countersunk or dimpled. I will likely countersink them in place to fit a #8 screw, rather than removing the five nutplates and the T1005 B and C pieces to allow countersinking and dimpling. :(

Back