What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip light reflector

mvidalr

Well Known Member
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a couple of aluminum mirror-like/reflectors cut and bent to shape that will go inside the W-715-1 wingtip light housing?

I am planning on installing AeroLEDs Pulsar NS nav/strobes, but don't want to install them directly on the fiberglass surface, and don't like the looks of plain -or otherwise painted- fiberglass all by itself.

Here's a picture of what I need:
wingtip_zpsb6c986c2.jpg

thanks

DIY

I just traced the shape, cut the shape out of some aluminium stock and polished it up and added some nut-plates so that it can be removed.

Didn't take all that long to do it either,.

DP

Did mine with .016 stainless. I did not polish it, but it would probably look nice if you did... Make a card template first... The fasteners for the lights hold it in place.

I bought some of the reflective acrylic for mine. I'm building the lights using LEDs so I needed some thinner material that I bought at professional plastics. There is a minimum lot buy though so that makes it more expensive. If you still with the 1/8" material you can find it around, maybe even Home Depot.

the DIY way

Thanks guys.

I appreciate you all's inputs. I used the template-and-cut-to-shape acrylic mirror method before posting, but thought there might be other "professional" (i.e. purchased) ways of doing this.

I used the cheap Wal-Mart cut-to-shape CIPA Replacement Mirror (http://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-Cut-and-Stick-5-x-8-Replacement-Mirror/22614764), and really liked my results for a $7 piece of shiny plastic. Had to think about some considerations like strength, heat dissipation, ease of handling, and aesthetics, in that order, but so far it seems it will do the trick.

We'll see how they withstand the heat after several hours of operation (although I'm using AeroLEDs which are, theoretically, cooler).

cm01100_aa.jpg

Thanks again.

chrome stick on monokote trim from the hobby shop. mines been on for 10 years and is still sticking and shiny.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back