What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS nose ribs and HS to VS fairings

Tiger Driver

I'm New Here
Building question on the HS/VS:
1.) The nose ribs have a relief notch cut at the factory before the last two rivet holes. This appears to make a "bump" that might telegraph through the skin. Question, will it and if so any tips to flatten the bump to avoid this? Photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/9410787@N05/11245026296/

2.) Trying to plan ahead a bit and cannot find more information in the manual about the HS/VS intersection fairings. The plans tell you not rivet certain holes presumably for screws but thinking nut plates would be a better solution when the time comes. Question, should I dimple these holes or not? How did you or do you plan to attach the fairings?

THANKS!

Last edited:
On mine I put them all in, then read that I should have left out the ones that the plans describe, I first put them all in, then drilled them out, then when I got to the Emp fairing, I ended putting most of the rivets back in. I used half of the nut plates called out in the plans. To do it again, I would have put all the rivets in and just drilled out the ones I needed for nut plates to hold the Emp fairing on.

1. I asked myself that question during my emp built, and frankly, I believe the skin is too thick to morph around this notch.
So my advice is not to worry about this and carry on.. you will find many like this during your construction; specially when you reach the wings (needless to say, the leading edge which is a royal PITA)

2. as for the attachment points, I dimpled everything and countersunk the fiberglass fairings, except for the VS fiberglass tip, for which I used nutplates and screws to remove because I plan to install a bullet camera which will have a bird's eye view of the whole plane.

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=mvidalr&project=2131&category=8046&log=182535&row=2

have fun!

Last edited:
1) Smooth it. Scotchbrite wheel. As said previously, it probably won't make a difference on the tail but the same features WILL make a difference on the wing. Use it for practice.

2) Follow the directions. The need for the empty holes for fasteners depends on how good you are with fiberglass. I have the minimum number of fasteners in my fairing. Dimpling the assembly at the end and installing rivets is not a problem.

Back