What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flapperon Blocking Pin

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I was in my hangar this afternoon trying to make use of spare parts left. Coming on a long pin left from a piano hinge, I got the idea to use it to solve a nagging problem we all have with the flapperons when removing the wings: they drop!
As a picture is better than a long speech, here you go:
(note that the holes in the wing and flapperon are already there, you just need to shape the pin the way it's shown below)

Before installation:
view

Pin in place, blocking the flapperon:
view

Please attach a red tag with "remove before flying" on the pin otherwise, if you do not follow the VANs checklist (Flight Controls Check!), you are toast :eek:

Thanks, that is a really neat idea. I have had to put up with moving my wings around for some time now, never figured out a way to stop them from flopping.

Thanks, that is a really neat idea. I have had to put up with moving my wings around for some time now, never figured out a way to stop them from flopping.

Don,
When are you going to turn the key and put some air under the wings of that airplane? :rolleyes:

Good question. My new years resolution is to get the darned thing in the air THIS YEAR! I keep telling myself to freeze the design and stop with the constant upgrades. Right now I am waiting for my wing tanks to arrive later this month, and finishing up on some other upgrades. I am on my third cowling, third spinner, second prop, etc, and have not even left the garage yet!

Back