What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Our world traveler

Just flew a red eye out of PANC last night, was looking down to see if I could find him. At one point I had my navigation display scaled out to 640 miles, and there were only seven airports on it. Be safe Vlad!

Excuse my ignorance and/or missing another thread on this. But, is this THE trip where Vlad was flying way down into some chain of islands? The thread where he was planning the trip and a lot of people commented on his potential plans? :confused:

Yes it is THE trip . . .

Vlad's long planned trip to Alaska . . . the Most Interesting Man in the (RV) World. Stay thirsty my friend:)

Excuse my ignorance and/or missing another thread on this. But, is this THE trip where Vlad was flying way down into some chain of islands? The thread where he was planning the trip and a lot of people commented on his potential plans? :confused:

Yes it is. The Aleutian Islands. He should be there today if the weather worked out for him. There is not much tracking up in that area.

What an experience.

While Vlad was with us he expressed his desire for the disconnect and relaxation...he has a number of different route plans depending on weather. We wish him well and his safety. He will update us via some of the VAF members. I would expect a full trip report from Vlad when he gets home.
Vlad is unique individual and is one most inspiring guys I think we've met!!
Go Vlad Go!!!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I'll post any "notifications" I receive from Vlad as his trip progresses. You've seen a couple already. They are short and pretty boring. :rolleyes:

I'll leave the actual trip reporting to the man himself. I'm sure it will be epic !

Bruce, the lack of APRS digipeaters and iGates was anticipated. We probably won't see a track until he approaches CONUS again.

Last edited:
Bruce, the lack of APRS digipeaters and iGates was anticipated. We probably won't see a track until he approaches CONUS again.

With any luck, he should connect with a few digipeaters in the south Yukon/north BC area if/when he comes through here (I have oil for a change for his engine). I know that I've hit some of them from as far away as east-central Yukon, middle of nowhere.

Cheers,
Greg

Should get a fresh ping from him when he gets closer to Anchorage and the Kenai peninsula.

Vlad was heading away from Cordova when I reaches him on the radio and told him to turn around and come back. He said he wouldn't do it unless he could kill a segal on landing. He got one, way to go Vlad. We have been hunkered down in my cabin with gust up to 50kts and wasn't even able to go commercial fishing with the 16 seas we are having. It has been great having a crazy Russian here with us. We have a big Russian community up here so I thought I would take him over there today and show him a couple cute Russian gals, he might find a reason to hang around a little longer. Anyway if I make it down to my house in Wyoming for the winter I am still planning a big salmon bbq flyin in September. Vlad and I picked up the 75lbs of salmon fellites for it yesterday. The rv world is great, gotta love it.

Just had to post. My kids got Vlad doing the Wii he is dancing to the Rasputan song. He is a ball to have over. My kids said hey Vlad we have a Russian song for you. I need a video tape.

You may be stuck with Vlad for weeks!

Just had to post. My kids got Vlad doing the Wii he is dancing to the Rasputan song. He is a ball to have over. My kids said hey Vlad we have a Russian song for you. I need a video tape.

We'll see how happy you are after he eats all of your rations!

Vlad said the frig was a little too empty for him to stick around so he flew out about 20 minutes ago. The weather is a little sketchy up here right now but once he gets into Canada he should have great weather.

Where's Waldo (Vlad)

Bruce is he heading back east now or going out the island chain?:confused:

Finally got a single ping off him over Yakutat at some really high altitude. So high that he pinged an Igate in Whitehorse, from off the coast of Alaska. I guess he decided against the Aleutians. Hope he continues to have a safe journey. I can't wait to see the trip write-up.

Don't hold much faith in the pings coming from there. They are not that exact in that part of the world. I know he has been nearly as high as it says on his way out to Colorado a couple years ago, but I don't believe he would be flying that high now. He does have oxygen so not impossible.
As stamper posted, he is headed back down to BC. He will report in when he gets back into internet service areas.

His ping was right and flying very high but still had to stop in Yakutat Ak due to weather and I believe he is stuck there right now. He is heading to Gregs in BC. The weather has been very bad here. I have been waiting for two days to make a flight but it is the opposite direction that Vlad left in and was hoping he would make it.

Back to civilization

Got about 16 pings off him with his position in Canada east of Tagish Lake.

Weather here in Atlin is ok (8:20 local time; 9:20 Alaska time), but the mountains are socked in. He was hoping to depart Yakutat at 6:30, and arrive here about 7:30 if the weather cooperated. Since no sign of him at this point, I suspect Vlad is in Yakutat for the night. Things are supposed to improve tomorrow.

Just saw the pings, and he's headed this way. Will be headed to the airport shortly to pick him up!

Greg

Glad to hear he has been located again - so we'e confused - is he doing the Aleutians or not? If so....someone needs to point him back in the right direction!

This thread has me consistently running to google maps to see where these places are. Some of you guys sure do live out in the middle of nowhere.

Russian update

Vlad departed Atlin today just before noon. Purported route is to Dawson Creek (CYDQ) via Dease Lake (CYDL) and Ft Ware (CAJ9) provided weather allows. Estimated flying time about 4 hours. If weather is an issue, he'll be flying IFR along the Alcan highway. As of this writing, no pings on APRS.

Greg

Пожелание нашей путешественник

Пусть ветер будет в спину, горные вершины ниже вас, и земля всегда будет в поле зрения.

Пусть ветер будет в спину, горные вершины ниже вас, и земля всегда будет в поле зрения.

for the rest of the single language folks like me:

May the wind be at your back, mountain peaks below you, and the land will always be in sight

Vlad departed Atlin today just before noon. Purported route is to Dawson Creek (CYDQ) via Dease Lake (CYDL) and Ft Ware (CAJ9) provided weather allows. Estimated flying time about 4 hours. If weather is an issue, he'll be flying IFR along the Alcan highway. As of this writing, no pings on APRS.

Greg

According to what the commie told me, IFR for him means "I follow roads."

Hey; there's an airshow in Dawson Creek this weekend - my hangar mate Brent Handy is flying his Pitts in it (his first civilian airshow, although he has 100's as a Snowbird). Vlad wouldn't photo bomb an airshow, would he?:eek:

Hi might want to stay well clear when Brent is doing his inverted spin sequence!

Go Vlad Go

Looks like " The Vladster" is almost back to the lower 48! Can't wait to see his trip report.

Talked to Vlad tonight...he was in good spirits... The Alaska trip was high adrenaline but he made it safe to lower 48...I was planning to travel back with him but had to delay...he will cross the USA over next while. Go Vlad Go!!

20140621_191926.jpg

im BACK

Back