What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Neverwet Hydrophobic Coating???

it isn't available yet... and it is silicon based. good luck on ever painting after using that. but maybe if you had a really nice paint job just done you could use it

NeverWet now at Home Depot

I noticed there hasn't been any discussion on this new product in a few years. It began selling at Home Depot this month. Has anyone experimented with this product on airfoils? It looks like if applied to the leading edge it could prevent ice. It might also reduce drag (the company said it reduces drag 30% in water applications). I ordered a kit from Home Depot today and plan to test it out on a few surfaces to see the results.

Apparently it's a bit rough or fuzzy and washes off when scrubbed or power-washed. If the former is true it might affect wing aerodynamics. Be careful but let us know what you find out.

NeverWet

The current issue of Consumer Reports has the following to say about NeverWet:

The coating worked-water ran right off-but not for long. Rubbing a treated surface with a finger was enough to stop the coating from shedding water. It has poor adhesion and some opacity, and dries to a frosted color.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I've played around a bit with this stuff. The coating has a rough texture and might have the same effect on an airfoil as a coating of frost would.

Back