What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

parachutes

DEWATSON

Well Known Member
I fly an 8.......what would be the parachute of choice by those who fly RV8s? I got burned accidentally a couple of days ago and I am surprised at how much pain is involved from such a brief exposure to the heat. If I had a fire in the cockpit at 10,500 feet......well, it would be horrible (I have a fire extinguisher). I'm thinking the best thing to do at that point is to get out and let it burn. The parachutes need to be comfortable to fly in. What are 8 flyers using?

At one point I had a seat pack. Worked nicely, fitting in the odd shaped space with the bottom seat cushion removed. Felt like sitting on a 2x12 though. May be more comfortable options available.

Lots of options here and vendors to look at. In the -8/8A, a seat pack is generally the better choice. It replaces the bottom seat cushion.

Also make sure the canopy in your rig is sized for YOU and that you also have an emergency rig for your pax...:eek: Get training and also be able to brief your pax for emergencies. Consider making at least a Tandem Jump to familiarize yourself with procedures and the environment.

I recommend these guys are they have a line specifically for RV's. (No, I do not receive compensation from them:rolleyes:)
http://www.softieparachutes.com/

Posted by me in 2011:
I wear a GQ 350 parachute in our RV-8 for some flight profiles (mainly displays/practices) - mainly "seat back" type, but some of the chute is "seat". I tried a few, and most pushed my back too far forward, especially low down. I leave the bottom cushion(s) in place, and remove the (front seat) rear cushion.

"I modified a stock seat back with a bend in it to make the seating posture more comfortable." Ditto without being aware of what Steve did ;) Is better... however, it does require the rear stick removed to full forward deflection. So swap seat backs for 2 up flying.

There are some "rules" re parachutes drilled into me over a flying career (or by others who have much more experience):

Parachutes can be ruined in a short time by being stored incorrectly. Apart from the very occasional overnight stay, that means removal from aircraft and storage in a suitable environment after flight.

You should, post flight, unstrap from the aircraft and exit with the parachute on - if you routinely disconnect the parachute then you will do the same reflex action under severe stress should you need to "jump". If the chute is being used again a few hours, climb out with it, take it off, put it in aircraft.

I have enough doubts you could abandon an RV-8 from the front seat. I have severe doubts you could from the rear seat, especially if the front seater has "gone".

Also agree with Paul's comments on straps.

Through unfortunate / tragic events, much of the above has been learned. Also, little point in wearing a parachute if you do not wear a helmet. The helmet is more likely to be needed in typical accidents, and keep you conscious enough to deploy the chute as you jump out and bang the tail etc.

Link ( http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7EFF...AC1F/0/maas85_03_bulldog_t1_xx660_25mar85.pdf ) - successful "jump" but undid parachute harness as well (reflex action) = fatal. This accident resulted in after every flight you climbed out with the chute on, removed it alongside the aircraft.

Link ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug/12/i-crashed-vintage-plane/print ) - successful low level abandonment (<1000' mid-air) "There was a deep gouge in my flying helmet – evidently, my head had bounced off the tail as well does not sound like he would have been in a good position to deploy the chute if he had not been wearing a helmet?"

From a recent (fatal x 2) accident, it has been highlighted (yet again) that owning and wearing a chute is but a small part of the "solution". You must have clear ideas/rules about when you will use it, the procedures (and calls / liaison if 2 occupants) to get out, the minimum heights for commencing abandonment - derived from that specific chutes "min deployment height". And such egress drills rehearsed regularly (monthly?)...
The GQ350 looks most like the "long" in the Softie range. I use it for displays and flight tests inc RV-4/6/8/7 and works well.

I am going to look into the GQ350 and see what I can come up with. I appreciate everybody sharing your well earned knowledge with me. I don't need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. I think the seat back type would be best for me and my wife. BTW, I did a tandem jump once to see what it was like. I certainly didn't enjoy it, but I would willingly jump again if I had a fire nipping at my face.

Have a good weekend.

You might find an issue with the GQ350... In that they are no longer made, and for whatever (unusual) reason, the manufacturer gave them a "life" in years (10?). And I believe the FAA are strict on servicing / lives of chutes?

Over here for RV type flying there are no requirements for chutes, and I trust the re-packer to tell me if it is good or not.

My last comment in the previous post was to suggest, if you looked at softie, at the "long" as well as the "seat pack" type. I was lucky enough that a supplier of chutes brought 4-5 different makes/models and I could sit on all, and actually flew with 2 or 3 before making the choice.

Everything You Always Needed to Know About Emergency Parachutes

Everything You Always Needed to Know About Emergency Parachutes
(but never knew enough to ask)

You may find this information from Manley Butlers company useful. It has a lot of information on emergency parachutes in general and several manufacturers. Manley is a highly respected leader in the parachute industry today, he started his career at China Lake several years ago and later became a manufacturer.

http://www.butlerparachutes.com/everythi.htm

Dewatson, I wear a Softee mini backpack EVERY time I fly my 8. No exceptions. Just remove the seat back and your rudders forward. I also put it on in the airplane and take it off in the airplane. This is what I am used to doing for over two years and 400+ hours. Order the quick release aerobatic harness.
Best

Tad,

James Clark and I are friends....we hail from the same hometown. I will seriously consider your recommendation. Does James, and the rest of the team for that matter, wear the same parachute? I want the simplest most reliable life saver that I can buy. Thanks for your input.

David Watson

There are only a few of us that wear chutes. It is a personal decision. My pax wears one as well.
The simple answer is to wear one always. Weather it is useable at a specific opportunity is debatable, however I want the capability of making that decision.
Chutes are cheap compared to life.

go for Strong!

Hello,

Here's my two cents..

http://www.strongparachutes.com/pages/emergency.html

They are well known in the skydiving arena. They also make military and emergency parachutes and canopies. I've used them (worn, not actually USED them :) ) during my training in the 8KCAB.

Click on the type of aircraft you fly (in this case the -8) and it will show you the best recommendation.

Good luck!

Back