What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inlet rings

eric.kallio

Well Known Member
In the eternal quest to make the Sam James cowl functional I am on the hunt for some inlet rings. Looking to increase the inlet area so ideally a 5.5" diameter ring would work, but I am willing to try up to a 6" ring. Anyone out there have a production run with a spare set leftover they might be willing to part with? PM or email me at scout019(at)msn.com if you have some or know where they might be procured. Thanks.

Eric

Call Will James

I got bigger inlet rings from Will James, Give him a call. Not exactly sure what the size is. There was a writeup about it in the Kitplanes by Amy Laboda.

Lenny

I'd recommend the 6" rings.....nothing less. As the other poster mentioned Will should be able to provide these for you. The 6" rings will provide good oil and CHT temps. Temps are managable with the smaller rings but you'll have no issues with the larger ones.

Not sure what prop you're going with but I'd also recommend the 14" cowl flange so you can mount the 3 blade Whirlwind 400 Rocket prop. If you go with the 13" flange you're stuck with the 2 blade Hartzell (nice prop) or another 3 blade option.

If you decide on a Whirlwind give me a ring, as a Dealer I can offer you substantial savings.

In the eternal quest to make the Sam James cowl functional I am on the hunt for some inlet rings. Looking to increase the inlet area so ideally a 5.5" diameter ring would work, but I am willing to try up to a 6" ring. Anyone out there have a production run with a spare set leftover they might be willing to part with? PM or email me at scout019(at)msn.com if you have some or know where they might be procured. Thanks.

Eric

Back