What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Cable for Quadrant too short?

douglassmt

Well Known Member
Has anyone else had trouble getting the stock prop governor cable for the RV-10 quadrant to reach from the prop governor to the quadrant, using the routing shown in the plans? I have an Aerosport Power IO-540 D4A5, MT Prop Governor located at the standard left side of the front of the engine. I routed it as called for in the quadrant installation plans. I might be able to make it work, but it is just short enough to have too much stress on it, in my opinion. A couple inches more would be plenty. I'll have to remove it to read the length on it, but it was the length that came with the quadrant kit. Possible solutions would be alternate routings if you anyone has tried one successfully, or ordering a custom length from Van's. I can't believe I'm the first to have this issue.

I just replaced the throttle cable due to wear and "tightness" and noticed the stock cable that they sent was the wrong length also. I would call Vans and ask them and exchange it for the one with the right length. I had to with the throttle cable and I am glad I did.

My solution

I have the same set up and had the same issue. I was about 1 1/4" too short. I bought extensions from aircraft spruce that threaded onto the cable end, which I then connected to the quadrant. Stock cables and about $15 in extra parts and everything came out fabulous through 67 hours of flying so far.

Eric

And your mixture cable :mad: Watch these as the engine rubbers sag abit and with takeoff thrust the mixture can be pulled back a bit......and then watch a few CHT's climb at a greater rate than you are! :eek:

Has anyone else had trouble getting the stock prop governor cable for the RV-10 quadrant to reach from the prop governor to the quadrant, using the routing shown in the plans? I have an Aerosport Power IO-540 D4A5, MT Prop Governor located at the standard left side of the front of the engine. I routed it as called for in the quadrant installation plans. I might be able to make it work, but it is just short enough to have too much stress on it, in my opinion. A couple inches more would be plenty. I'll have to remove it to read the length on it, but it was the length that came with the quadrant kit. Possible solutions would be alternate routings if you anyone has tried one successfully, or ordering a custom length from Van's. I can't believe I'm the first to have this issue.

I don't have the info here at the office, but I purchased my cables from a place in CA recommended by Dave Saylor. I got all three cables, with the next higher temperature sleeve, for about $250. If I forget to email it to you tonight, just remind me. Or you can search Matronics for that thread.

bob

stock cables

Bryan,

Mine fit from factory for whatever reason. I think the extensions sound like an easy fix but didn't have to buy them. As you know I have the Aerosport panel and quadrant. If they are tight I would change it or add the extensions.

Both my Van's suplied throttle and mixture cables are beginning to show sign of shrinkage of the sheething I'm guessing due to heat. I'll be replacing them with a better quality this winter.
Ron

Thanks

Thanks all. I'll probably pull it off and order a custom one from Van's for a couple inches longer. I'll check the others for adequate length as well.

Bryan,

If you want to save some money and get better cables. On the standard Aerosport panel, you need to add about 3" to the length for a typical installation. I seem to think that Geoff said it was about the same for the symetrical, but I would check with him. The lengths below are the standard length from Vans.

These are the same Cablecraft cables that Vans supplies, but from a reseller in CA. If you talk to anyone else but Frank, you'll get we don't sell for use in aircraft. You'll get cables that are rated to tolerate about another 30 degrees more than the ones from Vans. The best part is that you can get all three for the price of one from ACS.

The cables are custom made and I had them within a week of placing my order with Frank. I was very satisfied.

bob

For those with quadrants:

Per Dave Saylor:

I replaced the stock cables with 47" for the prop, 51" for mixture and 72" for the prop. I got the cables from a local cablecraft distributor. Also, ask for the highest temp rating you can get. The green cables from Vans aren't the best. A set of replacement cables should be $200 or less.

The vendor is California Push-Pull in Chico, CA. Talk to Frank.

http://www.push-pull.com/

176-VTT-2-51
176-VTT-2-47
176-VTT-2-72

These are for the mixture, throttle and prop respectively.

Ask for Frank if you need a live person. He knows what they're going on.

The cable tags will say "not for use on aircraft", which usually means they know you're using it on an aircraft

Thanks

Thanks Bob. I already ordered a 72" prop cable replacement from Van's, and the other cable lengths seem OK, but I'll double check them. I already have Van's and I don't know if they'll give me a refund if I return them.

Thanks Bob. I already ordered a 72" prop cable replacement from Van's, and the other cable lengths seem OK, but I'll double check them. I already have Van's and I don't know if they'll give me a refund if I return them.

Isn't the cabling you're replacing also 72"? I think you'll need at least a 75" cable to work.

bob

Here are the cables I just recieved from vans in the FF kit;

49.5"
52.5"
70.5"

Bryan, what were the lengths that came with your kit, and what panel and arrangement are you using to control them? I am trying to determine which will be the correct length and which I have to replace.

Bob, the ones you ordered are shorter than Vans for the Mix and Throttle, and 1.5" longer for the Prop.

Bill

He

Bob, the ones you ordered are shorter than Vans for the Mix and Throttle, and 1.5" longer for the Prop.

Bill

I shared an update with Bil privately, but wanted to be clear so nobody else makes the same assumption as Bill.

The numbers I posted are the lengths as measured by Dave Saylor for throttle quadrant cables. These are at least two years old. If Vans is supplying different lengths now, then all bets are off.

Several have asked for the lengths that I ordered. I have a Rod Bower Ram Air unit, which requires the AFP FM-200 fuel controller that is mounted in a horizontal orientation. Because of this, my cables are even longer than what you would need to just support the longer AeroSport Product panel.

How you route the cable through and around the engine and mount makes a big difference too. Remember, we don't all have the same configuration of engine. While you can use lengths from somebody else as a benchmark, I highly recommend using a string to measure exactly how much length that you will need to for your aircraft.

bob

Back