What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Govenor

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I recieved my Firewall forward kit today and did the obligatory inventory and noticed that Vans shipped the MT Prop Gov. Vans also has listed a Hartzell prop govenor. I plan on using the Hartzell prop and was going to return and exchange it for the Hartzell. Does anyone have any thoughts on any benefit to using the MT product?
Bill

Bill,

Either prop governor will work. The governors aren't exclusive to a specific prop.

I think the MT's have a little better reputation so that influenced my decision; but like all things it's a matter of personal taste. The Hartzell is heavier and has a reputation of requiring more maintenance. Some folks even use the PCU5000 - here's the link.

I'm going with the MT Prop and MT governor. From my perspective even if I was choosing a different prop I still would have selected the MT gov based on feedback from others who have direct experience with both the Hartzell and MT. I honestly didn't give the PCU5000 much consideration because I felt the MT was the right choice for me.

Those are really the 3 you need to consider, but your prop selection isn't going to bind you to any particular one.

Good luck,
Phil

I think the MT's have a little better reputation so that influenced my decision; but like all things it's a matter of personal taste. The Hartzell is heavier and has a reputation of requiring more maintenance. Some folks even use the PCU5000 - here's the link.

This is what I was told previously as well, but it's not accurate. I received the Hartzell governor in my FWF kit and started asking similiar questions.

Les Doud from Hartzell responded here.

To summarize:

The S-1-32 governor that is smaller and lighter than our older models. The "S-1" series has been STC'd on Diamond DA-40s and Piper Malibu/Matrix as well as OEM aircraft with good service history. I know we've sold several to RV builders and the only questions we've fielded so far deal with installation and set-up; no operational complaints that I'm aware of. The VA-153-PC cable bracket fits our governor too. The -32 is set up for 2700 RPM.

It appears that the bum rap that Hartzell has had was with their previous product, not their newer S-1-32 governor. I was unable to turn up any negative information on the new model.

Ted Chang, another RV-10 builder, made an observation about the S-1-32 after he just finished his baffles with the MT. He mentioned to me that he thought that the Hartzell may be a little easier to make a baffle than the MT.

I'm not flying quite yet, so I don't have any direct experience other than bolting it to my engine.

FP05022011A0005H.jpg

Prop/gov combination

I have the MT prop governor with the Hartzell prop. The combination has been working just fine so far throughout my phase 1. Like was stated there is no need to match prop and governor brands, find what suits your tastes and desires. I am happy with what I have.

Eric Kallio
N518RV
14 hours left of phase 1 fly-off

JUST A DATA POINT. I just got my MT governor back from being overhauled after 150 flight hours. I was seeing prop surges in some high power situations. They gave me a break and only charged me $250 for the overhaul, but the total cost was more like $550 after Fedx both directions. Flew it for the first time today, and it worked correctly.

Third annual condition inspection completed this week. Everything looked good........

Back