What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Officially Color Blind

JonJay

Well Known Member
My AME of 14 years finally retired, so off to a recommended AME for my Medical. I have always failed the color chart tests, but that did not matter to my old doc. When I failed, he just pointed out various colored objects and made sure I could see red, green, etc... Never another thought about it until yesterday when I failed the charts, as expected, and my new AME gave me my Medical with restrictions, No Night Flying.
After a little research, I discovered that there where easier color charts that I might be able to pass. I found those at a nearby Optomostrist office, they where very helpfull, and gave me a quick impromptu test. I failed those too.
I believe my only option now is to schedule a Signal Light Test from my FISDO. I am fully confident that I will pass as I do not have any trouble discerning colors on lights and charts.
Thought I would throw this out there to see if anybody has any other suggestions or knows any other options. Funny, I have not flown at night for over ten years, so it is not that big of a deal, but there is somethign about the Big Brother telling me I cant do something that just does not sit right with me.

As much as I loved my old AME, I am not sure he was doing me any favors by not telling me that this might become an issue in the future. He was one of the good ole boys and knew I was safe and had a thing about the controlling nature of the FAA. I am in otherwise excellent health. I feel bad for those he might have been letting bye in not so good health as they might be in for a really nasty surprise.

There's other's that know a whole lot more than I on this subject, but I did take a Farnsworth (?) Lantern Test while in the military. Basically, they shoot you two lights out of a box. Pretty basic.

I've had a SODA since the late 80's. When it comes time for the color vision plate test, I let the doc know. Then proceed to tell him I can't see any of those plates, except the one that tells them you're color deficient.

I did pass the light gun test, no problem.

Jim

As I understand it, you are in good company. It has been said in one of Van's Aircraft brochures that Van was found to be color bind when he was in the Air Force.

I too was cursed with my first AME retiring. Like you, I was restricted to flying daytime only, for a few years. A friend told me to visit the local FSDO for the light gun test. The whole visit took less than 30 minutes, paperwork and all.

Now I carry a SODA card with me when I visit my current AME. Been doing this for the last 20 years with no problems.

Good luck.

Try contacting Dr. Forred

I've never met this guy but he answers a lot of questions over on jetcareers.com, where obviously there are a lot of pro pilots trying to maintain medicals. Seems to be a "pilot advocate".

His website has a lot of information about vision tests and the "Farnsworth lantern" which is supposed to be preferable to the light gun tests, and more importantly it is somehow "another bite at the apple" at getting an unrestricted medical before the FAA light gun test:

http://myflightsurgeon.com/Farnsworth.html

Dr Jay Cohen
SUNY Optometry
Address:
33 West 42nd
New York, NY 1003
212-938-5863

I read on the AOPA forums on the Medical Matters board that this person administers a whole bunch of alternate color tests and if you pass them, you get a "letter of demonstrated performance" which should be produced at each medical. Lose the letter, and you have to get it done again since there is no permanent record of it.

The white and green from the light signal gun look very much like the white and green from a rotating beacon. Go stare at one for a while and see if you can identify which color is which. Of course, take someone with you who is not color blind. That should at least partially help you decide whether or not to attempt the light signal test.

Not sure about having to re-do the test if you lose the waiver. If you have the SODA number, the FAA can send you a copy. Had to do this at one time.

Call the FAA and ask them about it.

I am colorblind and still have the night flight restriction, mainly because I haven't had time to schedule the FSDO test.

According to the gentleman I spoke with at the FAA, they no longer issues SODAs for colorblindness. If you go to the FSDO and pass their test they will give you a letter that you present to your AME. The AME will then issue you an unrestricted medical. The FAA guy said they do this because many air carrier insurance companies frown upon any medical restrictions, even if a SODA is present.

The letter is supposed to be good for life, so you just present it at each medical.

FAA color blind tests

I cannot quote you the citation for the rule but I have talked with the FAA medical office in OKC. They informed me that if you are color blind you can go to the FAA to do the light gun test twice. If you pass they will issue the above mentioned letter. However, if you fail for any reason on the first attempt, you only have one more chance to apply for the test. If you fail on the second attempt, you may not apply again for a retake of the light gun test (ever)!

Again, this was explained to me by the FAA medical office in OKC.

I had this issue when I went to get my student pilot certificate 5 and 1/2 years ago. Being that it was my dream to fly commercially at the time, if I couldn't fly at night, there was no point to learning to fly (BS I know now). As I remember it, my AME gave me a number to call to schedule a light test. I scheduled it with an AME, I am guessing he was with the local FSDO, but I don't remember who he was with. I called the tower where I would be taking the test, to set up an appointment beforehand so I could see what the lights actually looked like. (I hadn't seen them before). The Tower was great, gave me a tour etc. Fortunately, it was an overcast day so it made it easier to see the lights.

The doctor took me outside, the tower flashed the lights at me, I told him what they were, then I got a letter exempting me from any future color vision testing. Odly enough, I don't think it is a SODA (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability). I think it says that a statement of demonstrated ability is not necessary or something like that. Not sure why that is.

Anyway, that's the process as I went through it.

P.S. I thought that color vision problems kept you out of towered airports as well as flying at night.

Good luck!

However, if you fail for any reason on the first attempt, you only have one more chance to apply for the test. If you fail on the second attempt, you may not apply again for a retake of the light gun test (ever)!

This is absolutely true in that once you decide to take the light gun test administered by the FSDO, you can only try it twice, AND you can't go back to taking one of the other FAA approve color tests. In other words, two strikes and your flight limitations (no night flight) become permanent.

However, before you go this route, you can try any approved color test administered by an AME or your local eye doctor, and you can do that as many times as you want until you can prove it just once. Then you're good to go. Make sure you exhaust all of your options around this before going to the light gun test, or go get an "unofficial" or "off the record" test with your local tower to make sure you can pass it.

More info here:
http://www.leftseat.com/baggish.htm

Another tip....

The human eye is susceptable to bleaching of the cones of your retina after extended exposure to bright light, reducing color sensitivity.

I know a guy who was not color blind who busted his FAA 1st after flying all day without sun glasses. Two days later he passed ok.

Prior to testing (make sure to do it in morning), wear dark glasses :cool:the day before. Keep your eyes well shaded at least one day before the exam. This technique may push you enough over the threshold to pass the exam:D.

Happy flying,

Bob

There are a few other things to do. Make sure that if you view the Ishihara (sp?) book it is done under a pure white light (mercury lamp I think). If a regulat neon strip light is used it is not pure white light so will corrupt the colors you see. Try to find out from a non colorblind person what the numbers are on the Ishi circles.

For me the white and green on the lantern test look similar unless you are 'in tune', the green is often a very light green so may look a little dirty - don't ignore that subtle difference. Make sure they show you all the colors of the lantern at the start of the test.

Good luck, if you have any issues join AOPA and contact their medical team.

Pete

Practice helps

My color vision is also weak, so I'm always sweating passing the color test.

I bought a pdf copy of the Ishihara test book on eBay for a few dollars. The book included the answer sheet. I found that when I knew what to look for, it was much easier to see the numbers. I didn't try to memorize the book but I did find that practice helped when it came time to take the real test.

Sub spotter

Your in good company. My grandfather was colorblind. They found that he could spot subs better in the navy, so that is what he did in WWII. Retired a Commander, did not make Rear Admiral because he didn't have enough sea time, spent too much time flying.

Another test not mentioned before....

Like many others, I am colour-*deficient*.

When I finally screwed up enough courage to address this problem, I was told that I could take a 'farnsworth G-15' test at the medical examiner's office, which consisted of placing 15 subtly (is that a word?) shaded checker tiles in the correct order. This I was able to do correctly... twice, as required. If I had failed the G-15 test, the lantern test would have been the last alternative.

I live in Canada; I speculate that the G-15 test is available in the USofA.

Back