What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sewing seat covers

prkaye

Well Known Member
Vans seat foam says it comes with a pattern for sewing your own upholstery. My mother has quite a bit of sewing experience, so I asked her if she thought it was do-able. She wanted to know more specifically about the Weight of the fabric and if they need to have a "serger finish". Her "serger" machine died and so now she only has a regular sewing machine. Will this do the job? How complicated is the upholstery pattern supplied by vans?

I haven't seen the patterns for Van's seats, but I don't think you'll need a serger. If you were using a fabric that tended to fray and used a small seam allowance, you would want to use a serger. I don't see need for small seam allowances in this case, so I think you'll be fine. Make sure to double check the allowances on the pattern before you cut anything though:)

Vans seat foam says it comes with a pattern for sewing your own upholstery. My mother has quite a bit of sewing experience, so I asked her if she thought it was do-able. She wanted to know more specifically about the Weight of the fabric and if they need to have a "serger finish". Her "serger" machine died and so now she only has a regular sewing machine. Will this do the job? How complicated is the upholstery pattern supplied by vans?

Here is an article written by a former member of our RV group detailing how she made seat covers for their plane:

http://www.tvrvbg.org/interior.htm

The email link is no longer valid and I don't know how to contact the author.

sewing seats

I purchased the van's seats with the intention of using their pattern. I have sewn a number of seat covers for our aircraft. Here are some of the items I would recommend before attempting it.
Do not use a fancy computerized machine. The thickness of the fabric with the backing (scrim)can ruin the alignment of the machine.
Van's pattern does not seem consistently accurate to the foam that I received. However,she should be able to figure out the incorrect section and adjust the pattern.
A serger is not needed if you purchase the correct fabric. I use automotive fabric and it has a backing that prevents the seam from ravelling.
I would be very happy to provide details regarding the process if she emails me. I think it is wonderful to do your own seats and get a quality finish at a lower cost.
[email protected]

OK, so I'm a horrible seamstress...meaning I have very limited experience sewing anything (tried a few patches when I was in the military - not great). Is this something I could do myself?

I have the Van's seat foam but considered selling the set and just buying some pre-made seats. I would like to use them, however, if I could have covers made cheaply and that looked nice.

Anyone have any ideas if there are some covers available for purchase that'd be cheap?

Phil,

Go for it! It sure saves some $$. My wife did mine and I think they look great. It also adds to the custom-built touch knowing that a family member made them for you.

She didn't like Van's patterns one bit. Something about edge allowance?? Sent me an email and I'll hook you guys up for the technical details: [email protected]. --Greg

I have a set of Van's foam cushions I want to sell. Someone make me a reasonable offer and there yours.

Not so much for me...

Hate to be the voice of negativity here but I tried sewing my own seat covers and they looked awful. Mind you I have a fair bit of PIC time behind a sewing machine as a parachute rigger working at a parachute loft and I have sewn all manner of backpacking gear- sleeping bags, tents, back packs etc. So I thought I knew what I was doing. Apparrently not.

I bought Van's foam and used his patterns. It might have been that the fabric I used for the inset of the cushions didn't have the structure/ stiffness to get the nice bolstered, contoured look that I wanted. Spent a couple or 3 weeks fighting with the dang things then sent the foam to Flightline Interiors and I really like what Abbey did with them.

I had the Van's cushions for several years, and it got right down to the time, to where we needed the seats finished.

And then out of the blue, the Classic Aero website linked from these pages, just happened to have some great looking seats that were already made and ready to ship.

They were at our house within three days, and I can tell you; there is no way that home crafted seats could look anywhere as professional as these, without a few years of upholstery practice!:D

Somewhat more pricey than homemade versions, but I think they add a lot of value to the aircraft. Mine are light grey leather with darker charcoal inserts.

L.Adamson

what it takes

I have read all the comments to date on seat covering. First, if you do not have much sewing experience I would suggest you get them done professionally. I have sold a few and due to the time involved my pay ends up being about $5/ hr. The four rv interior seat providers must get discounts on materials or be much faster than I am in order to make a profit. They all do quality work.
If you or your spouse has the time, likes a challenge, wants to make a personal creative contribution to your aircraft and has sewing experience then I would say go for it. It is great to have someone walk up at a fly in and say "who did your interior" and you be able to say "I did it".
If you are looking for an inexpensive seat cover, check out your local auto upholsterer-they can give you a quote and you can compare it to the rv group. Again the rv group of sewers provide a superb quality and fair price.

If you are looking to save money on the interior and don't have the ability to do the seat cushions yourself, you can do the side panels, carpet etc.There is no sewing involved in most of those. It is time consuming to make patterns for all the side panels, but they are not hard to do.

OK, so I'm a horrible seamstress...meaning I have very limited experience sewing anything (tried a few patches when I was in the military - not great). Is this something I could do myself?

Depending of the fabric, it can be very cheap stuff so if you just have machines to do the job, why don't you try? If you fail something, you don't have to get new parts from Van's and correcting errors is not necessarily difficult at all (at least when you have to remove material).

thanks!

Thanks for all your replies! I'm going to talk more with my mother about this, and either she or I may contact a couple of you who gave me your email addresses.
Thanks again!
Phil

Me and my wife have also decided to do it ourselves. We need to know if the patterns from Vans are good to work from? Secondly - are the lines on the patterns the actual material cut lines or the stitch lines?
Thanks.

Homemade Upholstery

I made mine from thick Cordura and used a thin foam as a backing on the surfaces where I wanted stitched pleats. I used spray can contact cement to hold the thin foam to the fabric while stitching. I used Vans' cushions and pattern and cut where the pattern showed to cut. This seems (pardon the pun) to give about a 1/4" overhang for stiching for an ultimately tight fit.

I used my wife's very ordinary sewing machine and a huge spool of thick synthetic thread (I think I have enough left over to wrap the planet) . I used a foot she has that sets the 1/4" spacing to the edge of the fabric. I have never sewn anything before so it took me a while to figure out how not to create nightmarish balls of tangled thread stitched to the fabric and wrapped around sewing machine parts. I still disturbed by these memories.

My initial plan was to do something very simple and inexpensive and a few years later upgrade to a professionally made interior. I am not sure if I will be doing this. The cushions turned out much better than I hoped.

HPIM3633_small.JPG

Luis Luciani
RV8, N188LC

Back