What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interference - VA-132 Snorkel Alternate Air Door and Cylinder #2

swaltner

I'm using the VA-132 snorkel on an IO-360-M1B equivalent (Superior XP-360 with parallel valve cylinders and forward facing induction). I believe the snorkel was originally designed for the angle-valve IO-360, so this may be the source of the problems I noticed. When I first mounted the VA-132 snorkel on my engine I ran into interference problems between the alternate air intake and the oil line on cylinder #2. The door can barely open up at all.

The plans have this door riveted to the fiberglass and the gap sealed up. While the plans called for flox, I used pro-seal to seal the door to the snorkel. The snorkel is positioned with close to the minimum edge distance allowed on the outboard brackets that hold the air filter in place, so the vertical face on the snorkel is about as far outboard as it can go, but the alternate air door needs to go a little further outboard.

214p5le.jpg

I see two options to correct:

- remove the door and glass over the hole and forget the alternate air - would require the tacky installation of tape over the hole and labeling that is already on the panel

- Find some way to build up the side of the snorkel to allow the door clearance on the oil line. In the thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=25893, I found a link to the image below, which is likely along the lines of what I need to do but no specific details on what was done were provided. Are the rivets critical to attaching the alternate air door to the snorkel, or is it suitable to just build up that area with flox and then epoxy the door in place? I suspect that my rivets aren't long enough if the area was built up enough to have the door clear the oil line.

151751578441b11972a6d3.mid.jpg

Any suggestions on how shift the alternate air door outboard to get the required clearance on the oil return line?

Back