What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Climb performance: 160 hp/cs vs 210 hp fixed

B. Hoover

I've been planning/dreaming now for a long time but still am not sure how to allocate limited funds?

Are there any thoughts out there on what engine/prop combo would have better short field and initial climb performance between, say a 160 or 180 hp constant speed setup vs. the 210 hp cruise prop arrangement?

Any thoughts or guesses on performance numbers and well as cost differences would be very entertaining and appreciated.

-Thanks!

CS are amazing

Don't know for sure about 160hp CS vs 210 fix, but the CS will get you off the ground very quickly. The also have big payback when it come to flying around other aircraft (IE landing). When you want to slow down or speed up just change the speed of the prop. It is an amazing air break.

Kent

Interesting but it does not make sense to me

B. Hoover said:
I've been planning/dreaming now for a long time but still am not sure how to allocate limited funds?

Are there any thoughts out there on what engine/prop combo would have better short field and initial climb performance between, say a 160 or 180 hp constant speed setup vs. the 210 hp cruise prop arrangement?

Any thoughts or guesses on performance numbers and well as cost differences would be very entertaining and appreciated.

-Thanks!
Bob. great work during WWII and loved your airshows! :D

What is wrong with 180 HP and constant speed prop? You don't say what plane. By the way 160hp and 180hp engine are about the same price. Why go with a 160 hp? (unless you have a RV9)

Price the parts yourself, look at vans catalog and visit Mattituck and Aero Sport web sites for engine price. Don't quote me but here is a rough est:

210HP $32,900, fixed prop $3000-$4000* ( limited fixed pitch prop selection for big angle valve engines. Plenty of fixed props for 150-180 hp, hint.)

180Hp $21,500, c/s prop $6000, gov $1200. (a fixed prop (solid) crank engine is only $200 cheaper)

(Fixed Sensenich for 150-180hp are about $2000. There are no IO360 (200hp) or IO390 (210hp) sensenich props and probably never will be. For one there is no market for it. Most (all but one I know of) people use C/S props on those engines.)

The negative of the 210HP is weight and fuel burn. Fixed is fine if its "tuned" ideally for the engine and airframe. Sensenich does this wonderfully with the 160's and 180's, but don't think Sensenich has a prop or ever will. Most people just opt for constant speed when they go above 180 HP. In fact I highly advise AGAINST a fixed 210HP / Fixed prop comb. Now you want to put constant speed on it, like a light MT to make up for the extra engine weight than that is great. However it sounds like you are on a budget.

A 180hp is light, reliable, cheaper and very popular. The IO390 (210hp) is great, but its a special engine. Unless you are going to make a racer I would avoid the IO390. If you want a "A" model cruiser with steps and deluxe accomodations (interior, panel which is weight) stay away from the IO380 which is $10,000 more. Also finding a good fixed prop may be difficult to impossible. Of the 100's and 100's of RV's I have studied, there was only ONE fixed pitch IO360 (200 hp angle valve). Usually when you go to the big IO360 (angle valve) you go to constant speed prop.

Recommend a O360 or IO360 and a Hartzell BA prop. You can't go wrong. You are going a road less traveled with a fixed pitch IO390.

As far as performance, I guess the IO390 may be a little faster top speed if the fixed prop is ideal, but you will do so at a big fuel penalty. AT $4.00/gal can you stand at least another 16% fuel burn for the bigger engine. Constant speed is more efficient for cruise. If you see your self cruising and doing cross country a lot than C/S is best. There is no doubt the constant speed 180 will do better in cruise than the 210 fixed in the fuel burn department, in my mind. If you want to race at reno, than a IO390 with a constant speed prop. However that was not your question.

Last edited:
George,
You need to update... according to Vans cost estimator, a new 180hp IO360 costs between $28-32K; the 200HP version between $34-37K. The 180hp O-360 between $24-26K. The 250hp O-540 is 39K, the 260hp IO-540 is $40-43K. (that lightweight $~10K 250hp Mazda rotary is lookin better every day ;))

Vans said that anything over 180hp could NOT take a fixed pitch prop- that true, or just that they are not available?

Last edited:
Engine prices

rtry9a said:
George,
You need to update... according to Vans cost estimator, a new 180hp IO360 costs between $28-32K; the 200HP version between $34-37K. The 180hp O-360 between $24-26K. The 250hp O-540 is 39K, the 260hp IO-540 is $40-43K. (that lightweight $~10K 250hp Mazda rotary is lookin better every day ;))

FYI, I have a new 180 hp IO-360-M1B engine on order from Penn Yan Aero. This priced out at $23,250. Granted, this is being built from a Superior kit, but it's a lot easier price to swallow that the $32,450 that Van's quotes on the "same" engine from Lycoming.

Steve

Bob,

I knew of you first from the VW community....I miss the sermons.

Because I know you are accomplished mechanically I will point out one thing which made the decision for me.

Because the experimental community has moved on to higher power, the O-320 used and core supplies are pretty good, and the prices are excellent. I chose to buy a first run runout, and with a check out to new specs, plus new bearings, new carb, new mags, new jugs, ported and polished, new custom pistons balanced, new fuel pump, I paid a shop for machine work, and did much of the assembly myself.

Results= CS O-320 for about $12,000.

I am building a 7 and checked with many other O-320 RV7 drivers, and with a CS prop, you get most of the performance back on climb and takeoff, which is the where the difference is most apparent.

In cruise there was only 7-8 mph difference anyway, and you can get much of that back (I Hope) by not putting on a nose wheel, and in my case by trying to build very light...very cheap (I am budget limited), and I have spent time fiting an alternative cowl which is reputed to be worth 8 mph with the plenum.

Others have easily achieve 155-160 kts on 7.5-8.0 gph with the O-320. I hope to do a little better with the drag reduction and weight reduction plan.

My whole plane will be less that $55,000 with a single axis autopilot, nice leather interior, and composite constant speed prop.

The O-320, and hunting for a good deal on an engine core made a huge ($10K) difference in my build cost.

rtry9a said:
George,

Vans said that anything over 180hp could NOT take a fixed pitch prop- that true, or just that they are not available from Hartzell?

I paid $22,800 delivered for the 180HP parallel valve Superior IO-360 that was delivered to me at the end of December. That was with PA Silverhawk injection (vertical draft, aluminum sump), dual Lightspeed ignitions & roller lifters.

1. Sorry guys, I?m not the Hoover you?re thinking of? Maybe I need to post like the ?other? Doug Reeves :D

2. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea at what point sheer horsepower with a fixed pitch prop would overcome the available power of a smaller engine with CS prop during take-off and climb out.

Maybe a better way of phrasing it would be ?what is the difference in static horsepower between a 160 hp engine with a cs vs. a fixed pitch prop?.

I am under the impression that during run-up and acceleration, an engine cannot turn a fixed pitch cruise prop at full RPMs, therefore preventing the engine from making full power.

Both constant speed prop setups and higher hp engines cost more money than a base level horsepower/fixed propeller system. I know high hp/fixed pitch cruise propellers would be faster than a lower hp/CS setup. I am just trying to get an idea how much horsepower over the ?base? engine one would need to make up the difference of not having a constant speed prop.

3. I was not aware of reasons not to install fixed pitch props on 200+ engines. Please explain more!

4. Thanks for sharing some of the costs on the zero time engines. I was under the impression that 180 hp injected engines would be more expensive than was indicated.

The "other" B. Hoover :)

Yep you are right but apples and oranges I think

rtry9a said:
George,

Vans said that anything over 180hp could NOT take a fixed pitch prop- that true, or just that they are not available from Hartzell?
I went to Mattituck and $21,500 is the price of the engine 180HP. Van's may include the baffle, controls, engine mount isolators, exhaust, airbox, alternator, accessories and so on. The IO390 is as I said on AeroSport ($32,900). Obviously when you buy and engine in a crate there is several GRAND more in cost to install it, but I left that out since that is approximately the same for any engine. The Fuel Injected engines have the extra $600-$700 Hi-press pump, and constant speed needs an oil line, prop control and bracket.

You are right it all adds up but I think Van has that all bunched into it, which is a fair way to really get the final bill. Thanks for the input.

RPM = HP (by a fairly fixed schedule)

B. Hoover said:
1. Sorry guys, I?m not the Hoover you?re thinking of? Maybe I need to post like the ?other? Doug Reeves :D

2. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea at what point sheer horsepower with a fixed pitch prop would overcome the available power of a smaller engine with CS prop during take-off and climb out.

Maybe a better way of phrasing it would be ?what is the difference in static horsepower between a 160 hp engine with a cs vs. a fixed pitch prop?.

I am under the impression that during run-up and acceleration, an engine cannot turn a fixed pitch cruise prop at full RPMs, therefore preventing the engine from making full power.

Both constant speed prop setups and higher hp engines cost more money than a base level horsepower/fixed propeller system. I know high hp/fixed pitch cruise propellers would be faster than a lower hp/CS setup. I am just trying to get an idea how much horsepower over the ?base? engine one would need to make up the difference of not having a constant speed prop.

3. I was not aware of reasons not to install fixed pitch props on 200+ engines. Please explain more!

4. Thanks for sharing some of the costs on the zero time engines. I was under the impression that 180 hp injected engines would be more expensive than was indicated.

The "other" B. Hoover :)
#1 - Darn :D

#2 - For every 100 RPM you lose about 5-7 HP. So if you can only turn your 210HP engine (rated at 2700 rpm) to 2400 rpm on take-off/climb, worst case, is going to make 190 HP. Than the fixed prop is not as efficient at that RPM, so knock another 5% off or about 10 hp for a total "thrust" hp of 180HP. Where a 160 HP (or 180HP) at the full RPM will be at rated hp (assume sea level).

I see where you are going, the 210 HP would not be any dog on takeoff but you will never see full power on t/o and climb. Why have the big engine if you are not going to use it for t/o and climb? Also on the same note you will likely turn the engine faster in cruise than ideal, because the prop is a compromise cruise prop, to assure that takeoff/climb is reasonable. This cost gas. That is the middle name of a constant speed prop, compromise. A fixed prop is only at it's optimal in one flight condition (speed, altitude, power applied). A constant speed prop has a wider range of conditions where its at peak or near peak efficiency over a wide range of conditions, simply because it can change its angle of attack.

There are side benefits of C/S like more drag in the pattern, which allows you to slow faster and maintain speed on final with some power to keep the engine warm (like down shifting going down hill in a manual transmission car). With a fast RV and short field a c/s prop can help. A proficient RV pilot can get the job done with the fixed prop however, but fixed props have more residual idle thrust.

Also with a C/S prop when doing Aerobatics, a loop in particular, does don't need you to play with the throttle to keep the RPM in the green, set RPM and forget it and loop away. I'm a C/S prop fan, but there is nothing wrong with fixed, especially on the budget. I would at least consider if going fix, having the option to upgrade later (eg hollow crank engine).

#3 - You said you are new, so you may not know about the search function in the tool bar? Type a key word or several key words to tighten the search down. I did an example search on: constant speed fixed. Here's a select few of the hotter thread hits of many that turned up:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=12425&highlight=constant+speed+fixed

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9843&highlight=constant+speed+fixed

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=4601&highlight=constant+speed+fixed

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=7206&highlight=constant+speed+fixed

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=4060&highlight=constant+speed+fixed

There is NO reason not to use a fixed on a +200hp engine, just many trade offs like cost, weight and performance. My main problem is the IO390 does not have a Sensenich available. The Sensenich performs better than any fixed prop on the market because of the metal blades, which are thinner than wood. It is also made (optimized) just for the RV. The Sensenich in my opinion is the best value and performing fixed prop.

My first choice is the Hartzell BA prop. It is the best performing, best supported and proven prop. Also because its from a +30 year design improvements, its very mature and should last a lifetime. Also you can get the Hartzell prop for the 160, 180 and 200 hp (and think the 210HP?) engines, which like the Sensenich is optimized for RV's.

The idea of going BIG engine to me is getting MAX performance. This is one of those hotly debated subjects. There is some beautiful about a super light RV with a wood prop and 150 or 160 hp engine. It may not have the same top speed or Rate-O-climb but its light, simple, cheaper and handles like a dream. Light weigh RV's are magic. Later RV models (-7, -8) are better able CG wise to take the weight on the nose, but keeping it light is usually a good thing.

Metal props weigh more than wood/composite. Metal props last longer and are more resistant to rain and generally more resilient from damage. Repair on a metal prop (file out a nick) is easier. Composite requires it to be removed. A prop strike with a wood prop is less likely to hurt the engine crank, compared to a metal prop. A wood prop needs constant re-torquing due to wood swelling/shrinking with weather. Metal props, you install and forget till overhaul. Even the complex constant speed needs just an annual grease job ,which takes 10 minutes.

#4 - What has happened in the last years is we have three companies making complete 180HP 360's (ECI, Superior, Lycoming), the most popular size/HP, so price goes down from supply/demand/competition.

Unfortunately like everything prices go up. Lyc clones engines and Hartzell props have all taken a $500 or more bump just recently.

Last edited:
Back