What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A Engine Mount Bolts through F-896 and F-897

swaltner

I'm getting ready to drill the engine mount bolt holes to final size and am confused about what to do with the two inside lower bolt holes that get drilled through F-896 and F-897. I have a QB fuselage, and haven't done anything in this area yet, so I know I didn't screw up yet.

Any ways, the four bolt holes in the corners are fine, because you have access to both sides of the bolt hole. These back sides of the two holes on the bottom row that are on the inside and used to support the nose gear mount are inside the sub floor. The F-896 and F-897 parts are shown in the exploded view on drawing 36A. The area behind these parts appears to have been riveted together very early in the fuselage building process, so I don't see how anyone got a nut on the back side of the AN6 bolt that goes though this part of the engine mount.

What am I missing?

Steve

Do you have an answer yet?

Steve,
I get my finishing kit in a couple of weeks. I am in the exact same sitation as you with a QB kit. Have you figured out how to solve this problem yet? What does Van's say?

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
Finishing kit

There should be a approx 1 inch dia access hole in the lower skin. This allows you to put a nut (and wrench) on the bolt. I had a slow build fuselage and I believe this access hole was prepunched in the lower fuse skin. If your skin doesn't have the hole, call Van's and ask. Not much hassle if you have to drill it yourself.

Doh!

Chino Tom said:
There should be a approx 1 inch dia access hole in the lower skin. This allows you to put a nut (and wrench) on the bolt.

Doh! <embarrassed> I missed that little detail on the drawing since I didn't quite make the connection that the exploded view was shown up-side down. The cradle I have the fuselage sitting on blocks access right there, and I assumed F-894 was a solid sheet on the bottom of the airframe. Thanks for enlightening me.

Onward and upward....

Steve

Back