What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 canopy gas strut part change

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We recently made a change to the gas strut used in the RV-14/14A kit to a higher force version. These struts hold the tip-up canopy open when the strut is extended. In high-wind conditions, the original strut at times may not have quite enough holding strength, and customers requested a higher-strength strut.

Kits shipping now include the new struts, and the original version part is no longer available to purchase. This is an improved part with a higher holding force. The new part is a direct replacement for the original version, and owners of existing aircraft/kits with the original version may optionally purchase and install the new struts, which are available on the Van's Aircraft Web Store.

spring-00001-1img2.jpg

I just checked my gas struts that shipped with my slow build fuselage kit on 04/13/22. They are SPRING 00001-1, the updated version.

Very nice, I just ordered one. Thanks Vans!

I ordered another ball cap too...my son took my old one with him to college. He has discovered that he's a total chick magnet when wearing a Vans Aircraft hat. :D

I ordered another ball cap too...my son took my old one with him to college. He has discovered that he's a total chick magnet when wearing a Vans Aircraft hat. :D

Maybe we need to offer a ballcap subscription option. ;)

Question for Greg

Greg, my -14 kit came with gas springs for the 14A which were completely inadequate. I was told then that they were rated 300n whereas the springs for the -14 were rated 350n. My 350n replacement springs are serving very well. Can you tell us what the new springs are rated?

Thank you.
-Don

Greg, my -14 kit came with gas springs for the 14A which were completely inadequate. I was told then that they were rated 300n whereas the springs for the -14 were rated 350n. My 350n replacement springs are serving very well. Can you tell us what the new springs are rated?

Thank you.
-Don

The Van’s website store says 400N.

We recently made a change to the gas strut used in the RV-14/14A kit to a higher force version.

Kits shipping now include the new struts, and the original version part is no longer available to purchase. This is an improved part with a higher holding force.​

Hi Greg,

Are you able to advise when the new struts began to be included in the fuse kit shipments? My kit shipped on 5th Nov (hopefully with the new springs). Hasn’t arrived yet!​

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

Are you able to advise when the new struts began to be included in the fuse kit shipments? My kit shipped on 5th Nov (hopefully with the new springs).

We can check when the office is open but there is a quick way for you to check. Take a look at the part label and/or your packing list/inventory sheet. The new part number is SPRING-00001-1, while the original part number was SPRING-00001.

Note that our standard part number naming convention is to append a -1 for the first major revision, -2 for major revision #2, etc. Not all changes are considered major revisions. In this case the relative holding strength was significant enough (90 lbs/400N) to dictate a part number change, to allow them to be ide tidied by part number.

Last edited:
We can check when the office is open but there is a quick way for you to check. Take a look at the part label and/or your packing list/inventory sheet. The new part number is SPRING-00001-1, while the original part number was SPRING-00001.

Thanks for the fast reply - but my crate is still in the middle of the pacific. Should get here in June I think. The shipping docs via email didn’t have a packing list, just “fuse kit”.

Thanks for the fast reply - but my crate is still in the middle of the pacific. Should get here in June I think. The shipping docs via email didn’t have a packing list, just “fuse kit”.

Ah, gotcha. Will check and send you an email.

Hi Greg,

Are you able to advise when the new struts began to be included in the fuse kit shipments? My kit shipped on 5th Nov (hopefully with the new springs). Hasn’t arrived yet!

Mine shipped on Nov 17 and has original strut.

Back