What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjustable Gas Spring Force

HFS

Well Known Member
I found out about one gas spring company - Bansbach Easy Lift, that make their gas spring line with provision for adjusting the pressure - nee force, downward as needed. Pretty cool!

Looking at the aviation section of the McMaster catalog under reducible-force gas springs, it appears as if they are the same as the Bansbach's (probably manufactured by B ...). But the difference is, where the McM catalog offerings are limited, the Bansbach springs are available through a much wider range of sizes (length & diameter), making it easier to match your needs.

Bansbach has a YouTube video illustrating the proper method for reducing the pressure, which includes a factory manufactured "wrench" for making adjustments. There is also a Technical Instruction on the pressure adjustment using a hammer & pin - for the end user, who doesn't have access to the factory "wrench". The TI is found on the Bansbach corporate website.

I made a DIY wrench in about five minutes and used it to adjust the pressure downward on the canopy hold open spring for my Rocket. The hammer & pin method works; but, the rate at which the gas escapes is less than accurate or repeatable. The wrench makes the process much more precise.

If more adjustment is needed - either up or down, you can send your spring back to the factory for service.

YMMV - And probably will.

HFS

Attachments

• Gas Spring Adjustment %22Wrench%22.jpg
    Gas Spring Adjustment %22Wrench%22.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Gas Spring Adjustment - YouTube.jpg
    Gas Spring Adjustment - YouTube.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 25
Back