What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360, Flywheel and prop extension installation

kjelle69

I am about to install the flywheel and Pacesetter 4" extension after an engine overhaul.

I've been looking through the SSP-1776-5 to see if there are any specific torque for the 1/2 inch extension bolts to the threaded inserts in the chrankshaft flange.

Is it good to go with the standard table for 1/2": 900 to 984 In.Lb. here or is it other specs here because of the dynamics due to rotation?

I am about to install the flywheel and Pacesetter 4" extension after an engine overhaul.

I've been looking through the SSP-1776-5 to see if there are any specific torque for the 1/2 inch extension bolts to the threaded inserts in the chrankshaft flange.

Is it good to go with the standard table for 1/2": 900 to 984 In.Lb. here or is it other specs here because of the dynamics due to rotation?

I wouldn't go any higher unless using grade 8 or 9 bolts, and in that case looking at the specs for those bolts. That table is based upon milspec bolts (have no idea where these bolts sit in comparison to standard US bolt grading system though I speculate they are between grade 2 and grade 5) and going with higher torque runs the risk of streching the bolt long enough to compromise it's strength. You want a bolt to stretch enough to hold well, but if you go too far, it changes the structure and they don't hold well as they lose their elasticity which is what provides the holding power.

I don't know how close the torques in that table are to the fasteners max torque figures for the bolts you are using. Just know that each fastener has a limit.

Larry

Last edited:
These are the bolts that came with the Pacesetter extension kit. I intend to reuse them after cleaning and inspection. The marking is a C and an S on the head. (Carbon Steel ?)

I heard that a bit of blue loctite was recommended in some applications, since I have holes for a lock wire this wont be neccesary.

Attachments

• 279700494_419712069523755_4379744843294354289_n.jpg
    279700494_419712069523755_4379744843294354289_n.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back