What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft IFR paperwork

mike3715

I'm an owner of an RV7 that is equipped to meet all FAR IFR requirements, and has passed IFR checks every 2 years since the build was complete according to it's maintenance book.

However, after solving both a pitot and static leak (happy to discuss my $20 setup to troubleshoot if desired), the folks at security aviation in Hawthorne mention there is typically FAA paperwork associated with the airplane indicating it's IFR suitability. I haven't found anything in the build papers that I inherited. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Mike

I have a 500 ft/min static leak and failed my IFR check. I would be interested to hear how best to troubleshoot. I suspect my backup altimeter glass.

Check your operating limitations doc. It likely says something about the aircraft along these lines:

(6) This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated areas unless directed by air traffic control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the ground.
Note: This limitation is applicable to the aircraft after it has satisfactorily completed all requirements for phase I flight testing, has the appropriate endorsement in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records, and is operating in phase II.
(7) This aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
(8) After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with 14 CFR § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
(9) Aircraft instruments and equipment installed and used under 14 CFR § 91.205 must be inspected and maintained in accordance with the requirements of 14 CFR part 91. Any maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records

If that fits your aircraft, and you've had pitot/static checks and condition inspection done within the appropriate time periods you should be good to go.

Big picture: use a bp cuff to gently add pressure. For static: you probably want to disconnect and seal off your airspeed indicator first to prevent potential damage from reverse pressure. Mine was already suspect so didn't bother.

1. Make your setup
3/16 " Tee Junction: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006OGBM92?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd
Blood pressure cuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WLLD6ZY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

Pop the pressure gauge off and splice it into the cuff using the tee. This gives you a free end. Also, duct tape the cuff tightly as you can so it doesn't inflate much when you add pressure.

Plug up one end with a finger and pump up. Notice how the gauge will settle a bit then stay constant.

Note: I hear you can also use a balloon for this... I just liked the precision of the bp cuff...

2. Tape over your two static ports. I used a Teflon tape.

3. Locate where your static line approaches your instruments. It's just behind the throttle on my 7.

4. Tap into the line and slip the open end of the bp cuff to the part that goes aft to your taped static portd. Gently add pressure, not too much. It takes about 10 seconds for pressure to stabilize if no leaks. If there is a leak, quadruple check your tape and try again. If still a leak...remove the bulkhead and keep going back.

5 if no leak aft, repeat going forward. Inflate GENTLY. I used 3000 fpm as a good indicator.

6. If leak, reconnect. The. Disconnect at far end of line (for me that was altitude encoder). Try again. If no leak, you found the problem (like I did...was bad connection). If leak...seal w tape or reconnect and keep trying...

Good luck
Mike

If that fits your aircraft, and you've had pitot/static checks and condition inspection done within the appropriate time periods you should be good to go.

I agree, but the OP mentioned repairing a static leak. If that involved any work that involved opening/resealing the system (likely) then a new pitot/static inspection / certification is required (FAR 91.411). All aircraft have to comply with FAR 91, so all IFR aircraft have to comply with FAR 91.411, in addition to the requirements in the operating limitations.

EDIT I see that your latest post describes opening the system for doing the test. This alone would require a retest per FAR 91.411.
When a shop does a certification test, they do not break into the system. They attach the tester to the outside of a static port (with the second one taped over if there is two).

Last edited:
When a shop does a certification test, they do not break into the system. They attach the tester to the outside of a static port (with the second one taped over if there is two).

Actually it is permissible to "break into the system" to accomplish the test. The following is directly from AC 43-6D, system maintenance and inspection practices:

"Connecting the Test Equipment. Connect the test equipment directly to the static ports, if practicable. Otherwise, connect to a static system drain or tee connection and seal off the static ports. If the test equipment connects to the static system at any point other than the static port, it should be at a point where the authorized person may readily inspect the connection for system integrity after returning the system to its normal configuration. Remove all static port seals after completion of the static system test."

I just went through this to get my limitations to say IFR is allowed. Sent the aw cert and op limitations to the FSDO and a week later had it back in hand ready to go.

Actually it is permissible to "break into the system" to accomplish the test. The following is directly from AC 43-6D, system maintenance and inspection practices:

"Connecting the Test Equipment. Connect the test equipment directly to the static ports, if practicable. Otherwise, connect to a static system drain or tee connection and seal off the static ports. If the test equipment connects to the static system at any point other than the static port, it should be at a point where the authorized person may readily inspect the connection for system integrity after returning the system to its normal configuration. Remove all static port seals after completion of the static system test."

Ok, I guess all the tests I have been involved in the tech felt that connecting to the static port was practicable. I can't think of a situation on an RV that it wouldn't be.

I install a Tee when constructing the static system so it is easier to to the bi-annual check. Normally it is just capped off.

Vic

Back