What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie plan question

georgemohr

Well Known Member
Hi all!

On the plans for the 14, I see some references to "TYP". I understand this to mean "typical", and is used when the specifics of this feature might differ build to build.

If that is right, I don't understand the usage below. This is calling out some match drilling, which should not have variability, right? If I'm way off, please set me straight!

Regards,
G

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 238
The meaning of "typical" in this context is that they gave the instruction once and it applies typically to all of the similar places in that drawing.

So in that case it's talking about all of the rib to spar mating holes?

I did that step 42 months ago so I don't remember for sure, but I believe it means all of those holes. The RV-14 vertical stabilizer is mostly RV-7 part numbers so there is lots of match-drilling to do. Looking ahead to page 06-05 figure 1, the rivets are AN470AD4 and LP4, so #30 holes would be appropriate.

When in doubt about what a hole is for or what to do with it, read through the rest of the section of the plans (or sometimes farther, even into other kits--this is where having the complete PDF plans at the beginning is important) to see what makes sense.

The provided answer is correct. It may not match the common definition for the word typical in the English language, but in the context of RV plans it is a way of describing that similar/like items on the page are dealt with the same even though the arrow is only pointing at one of them.

Back