What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Stick Grip Hits Panel (solution)

eastonale

Patron
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Kevin over at Tosten Mfg has come up with a new stick grip bushing that angles the grip back toward the pilot, significantly reducing the problem of the grip contacting the panel when pitching the stick forward.

On my RV-10, with the Aerosport 310 panel and the Tosten CS-8 grip, it definitely was hitting the panel until I did three things. No control column bending required.

1. Cut the maximum possible off the bottom and top of the control stick.

2. Make a down elevator stop to limit the elevator travel to the Van's minimum allowable 20 degrees.

3. Angle the Tosten grip backward using his new bushing.

Kevin is great to work with and tells me the bushings will be up on the website soon!

Cheers,

Mark Easton

...and

+1 on what Mark said...

I have the Aerosport Symmetrical panel AND Honeywell TL switches. I did the same things as Mark with the same result.

Kevin at Tosten was great to work with!

I don't fully understand. Where does the bushing go? I anticipate I will have the same issue.
Do you have any pics?

bushing

The Tosten grip has a mounting post in the bottom. This post goes into a bushing, which goes into the control stick tube. The standard bushing is drilled for the post, concentric with the control stick tube. The new bushing is drilled at an angle with the result being the stick grip is angled aft by about 7 degrees from the control stick tube. This gives a bit more clearance between the stick grip and the instrument panel...

Yep, Kevin is great to work with. I had a similar issue on my RV-14A. Toggle switches were just long enough to interfere with the stick grip. Sent everything to Kevin. Cut an inch of the top and installed a bushing. Everything is great now.

RV-10 stick hits panel

I remember reading threads regarding the RV-10 stick grip hitting an AeroSport panel and I checked mine yesterday. It hits.

I have a Ray Allen grips and trim relays and don't want to switch to somehting else.

I've read this thread. Is the "Tosten Stick Grip and bearing" the only solution?

Are there alternatives if I want to continue with my Ray Allen stuff?

Thanks,

Jerry

The tosten is a bit unique with the post style mount.

I can make you an angled grip mount to your angle specifications that would slide into the existing post, if interested. I have been doing a bit of free lance machine work in retirement.

Back