What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA scoop/duct covers?

Has anyone found or made a solution for plugging or covering NACA scoops while the aircraft is tied down? The one company I found that also makes prop sleeves has quit making them, and I’m betting the TBM ones all over the internet are too big. Not a huge fan of bees in my cockpit. I know someone here has fabricated one. Or I’m just bad at Google.

Stainless screen

Has anyone found or made a solution for plugging or covering NACA scoops while the aircraft is tied down? The one company I found that also makes prop sleeves has quit making them, and I’m betting the TBM ones all over the internet are too big. Not a huge fan of bees in my cockpit. I know someone here has fabricated one. Or I’m just bad at Google.

Not a cover but most builders put a stainless steel screen over the inside 2" duct then slip the Scat hose over and clamp it.

Bruce’s Custom Covers

When I ordered my canopy cover and cowl plugs from Bruce’s Custom Covers, I asked if they could make me a plug for my NACA scoop and they said absolutely no problem. The price was very reasonable and I am very happy with it.

Sport Aviation - July 2018

If you take a look at page 128 in EAA’s Sport Aviation in July 2018, you’ll see an article on how to make them. Looks pretty simple. See attachment

Charlie

Attachments

• Air Vent Screen.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 579
I stick a plastic pot scrubber in each side. Cheaper than dirt & you can find them in various colors to suit your taste.

I put a screen on the end that connects to the duct. When building I added in a sliding shutter between the fuselage skin and the NACA scoop which can be closed anytime to keep out; bugs, rain, and cold in winter.

Super simple...

Cut two 1/4" lengths of PVC pipe one size larger OD than ID of duct

Cut each ring lengthwise and remove enough so that the ring will compress enough to fit inside of duct

Insert one ring, a circle of stiff screen followed by the second ring

About 2 drops of CA adhesive on each ring

Done

NACA screen 2.jpg

NACA screen 1.jpg

Pool Noodle!

I cut a donut from an old pool noodle, attached some parachute chord to the end to pull it out. It works like a charm keeping the mud daubers out.

Super simple...

Cut two 1/4" lengths of PVC pipe one size larger OD than ID of duct

Cut each ring lengthwise and remove enough so that the ring will compress enough to fit inside of duct

Insert one ring, a circle of stiff screen followed by the second ring

About 2 drops of CA adhesive on each ring

That looks very clean - good tip. I used much finer mesh, but just wrapped it around the plastic NACA vent "male" end when installing the SCAT tube. Works, but no where near as elegant as yours.

No pictures, but I took some ordinary screen wire and formed over the end of a piece of PVC. Trimmed the rim, ran a bead of red RTV down in the duct then pushed it into the duct using the PVC as an insertion tool. Easy and fast. Upgrade to stainless for better durability.

Back