What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hero 3 Outside RV-10

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_wt7vGkPU

Tried mounting the Gopro outside the plane today. I used the number #6 screw through the Go pro mount. It did not work very well for me. I think it might be from the longer arm on the base. I will try the short base next and after that a total change. I really like the #6 screw though, you can put it anywhere.

Do you have a pic of the mount you used?

No pic right now. The base was the flat clip in. The clip had the arm that was a bit longer for more camera rotation. It is around an inch long. I will get a pic. The arm flexed to much and I found the base moved to much as well. It would flex the skins when I really pushed on it because of its small size. I was a bit worried of it failing because of the cold. But you don't know unless you try.:)

Does anyone know how well the 1/4 20 camera mount is for strength? I have one of them with a my own made mount. Just worried if the nut is pressed in or plenty strong. It will be very rigid if I use it. It would be nice to know if someone has used it with success.

Last edited:
Mount

I have been using billet aluminum mounts with no extra arms. Alot of people use the stick ons or the suction mount. I just dont trust those.
IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

While not GoPro's, mounting the cameras to the tiedown worked GREAT and the image did not vibrate.
Camera%2520rig%2520with%2520text.jpg

The bracket on the left will bolt to the tie down. I plan is to bolt the tripod mount to it as well and the camera to that. Just unsure on the tripod mounts nut insert strength. This set up will be rigid.

The mount that is on the case now is what I used. Clearly the long arm did not help.

I plan to try the short arm (the one on the far right) and see if it makes much difference. After that I will not use the gopro clip on stand at all if it does not work.

The billets are nice, but I figure the camera case is just as strong as the arm it attachs to. So the billet will never break but the camera case can just as easy as the plastic arms. Just my thoughts.

1zbduh0.jpg

Camera mount

34xi0d0.jpg
2rel4qg.jpg

I have built this mount for the wingtip that mounts on the top or the bottom.
Made a few for local RV pilots.

I have a GO Pro on my RV4 I used the 6/32scew on a 032 channel and the shortest mount they sent to me.
I have it mounted under the left wing using the scews that hold the wing tip on just forward of the wing spar, that way i do not get the prop in the pictures. I have it tilted down and in to pick up the center line at about fifty feet. I get good clear pictures of all the snow covered Sierra Mountains
Ron Sutton

While not GoPro's, mounting the cameras to the tiedown worked GREAT and the image did not vibrate.
Camera%2520rig%2520with%2520text.jpg

Bill - Do you have any 3D footage you've recorded available online? I filmed my first flight in 3D from inside the cockpit with a dual gopro setup.

Back