What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone not install the stall warning on a new wing?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Guys and gals I am to the point in the plans where you are told to install the stall warning system on OP46. As I understand the leading edge skin didn't used to come already punched for a lot of things. I was going to leave this out as I think AOA is a better solution. However, the skin is punched for the access plate and drilled for the rib/ vane locating holes. Did anyone not install the system? If so, did you just put rivets in the holes mentioned? Thanks

Installed the vane and wished I hadn't - all it is good for is catching on my shirt as I walk by. I go by angle of attack.

Chris

I'm going to go ahead and put the bracket in on my 7 and fill the two holes to locate the slots with pull rivets. That way if I change my mind down the road, the bracket is in place, all I have to do is drill the pull rivets, cut the slot, and install the switch. If I dimple and set a flush rivet in the guide holes, now I have a dimple to deal with if/when I cut the slot.

I figured this gives me the most options this early in the build with almost no weight.

No pre-punched holes in my wing. Installed Dynon's heated pitot/AOA, which works great if properly calibrated.

New build

Just got mine installed on a new build. After reading this, now i wish i hadnt . It hurt to drill a hole in the spar for a wire.
I am probably going to cut the vane back during flight test once the aoa is calibrated, and maybe round it too.

I have both the Dynon (derived from special pitot data) and GRT (calculated) AOA systems, and they are superior to the simple Vans system. That said, I put Vans stall warning in so I'd have something for first flight. The AOAs require in flight calibration.

I'm also not installing the stall warner in my -7.

My kit has the VA-195 access plate cut out hole already made, so I finished installing the plate doubler yesterday.

I plan on using the NAS1097AD3-3.5 reduced head rivet to fill the unused stall warner holes in the leading edge skin.

This is the rivet I use for installing plate nuts. it requires just a slight countersink and I think would be perfect.

Stall Warning

Real airplanes don't have a stall warning.
Champ
Cub
Stearman
Pitts
Ryan
Ect.,,,

No. My landings frighten passengers enough without this thing suddenly screaming during the flare. Did complete the install then removed the parts so a future owner can reinsert it.

Although the RV-3B kit I'm building didn't come with the stall warning device, I added it.

My background is heavily in an older Cessna that has a similar system, and this one-point AOA works very well.

I've flown all those planes that 6 Gun mentioned except the Pitts, and still prefer having the horn.

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

No. My landings frighten passengers enough without this thing suddenly screaming during the flare. Did complete the install then removed the parts so a future owner can reinsert it.

Actually-at least in the -10 - another personal complaint about the Vans-supplied system is that it's not loud enough! With good ANR headsets I can barely hear the thing.

Wow you guys are awesome! I did not expect this many responses on this topic. I have no want for the stall warning system so I'm glad to hear others have just filled the holes with rivets/ also installed the access plate. I like the idea of doing the front two with blind rivets which could be useful for a future owner that still lives in the past.:D I also was not too keen on drilling into the spar, I know it is designed for it but it just feels wrong! :) Thanks again for the replies everyone!

It appears I'll be the oddball here. I am going to install it on my RV-7. It came with the kit, the slot and holes are already there, and its fairly lightweight. If you will notice, the wire hole is already drilled in our spars. I think the plans just has us open the hole ever so slightly. I already have the plastic bushing inserted in the pre-drilled hole so its ready to go.

Its good to have it during testing, since the AOA will require calibrating and it seems like cheap (its in the kits now) insurance that will only take a couple hours to install. You can always wire the stall warner to a light instead of a buzzer (its a simple microswitch after all) and have it light a bulb on the panel somewhere. Combine this with the AOA and you have both audio and visual warnings without taking your head out windscreen. a LED light is easy to notice in your peripheral vision.

It appears I'll be the oddball here. I am going to install it on my RV-7. It came with the kit, the slot and holes are already there, and its fairly lightweight. If you will notice, the wire hole is already drilled in our spars. I think the plans just has us open the hole ever so slightly. I already have the plastic bushing inserted in the pre-drilled hole so its ready to go.

Its good to have it during testing, since the AOA will require calibrating and it seems like cheap (its in the kits now) insurance that will only take a couple hours to install. You can always wire the stall warner to a light instead of a buzzer (its a simple microswitch after all) and have it light a bulb on the panel somewhere. Combine this with the AOA and you have both audio and visual warnings without taking your head out windscreen. a LED light is easy to notice in your peripheral vision.

Interesting perspective Lynn, never thought about tying it to a light.

Back