What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally got to use Dynon/Foreflight connect

Sig600

Well Known Member
Took my plane down to NC yesterday, and just as advertised...

I planned my flight a few days ago, picking waypoints, altitude, etc. Saved the flight plan in foreflight on my iPad.

Got to the plane yesterday, got all set up and before I started it up, I turned on my phone as a wifi hotspot. Updated winds aloft, notams, etc. Even filed. Then turned off the hotspot and started the plane. Takes a second for the skyview to boot up, wifi network comes alive, iPad automatically connected. Zapped the flight plan from my iPad to the skyview as fast as I could tap the icons and by the time I could call ground for clearance they had my departure.

The flight down the iPad was a perfect moving map. Used the ADS-B on the dynon to watch the weather... And on shutdown at my destination the fuel burn was within .2 of planned.

Wow!

Cool stuff!

Overkill for sure, but do you also have SV with ForeFlight? If so how'd it compare? Or were you just using the position from the SkyView to drive the iPad?

Cool stuff!

Overkill for sure, but do you also have SV with ForeFlight? If so how'd it compare? Or were you just using the position from the SkyView to drive the iPad?

Never thought to turn it on, I was just using the map/nav log to see how accurate the numbers came out.

If I could make one suggestion for dynon...

Is it possible to have the system look ahead, say a point every 50 miles, extrapolate the winds aloft data from the ADS-B For your current altitude, and generate a more accurate ETE and fuel burn?

Nit picky I know, but the winds were +\- 50 knots and 50 degrees on this particular trip. That kind of predictive capability (like foreflight has when it's live on the Internet) would be awesome.

Back