What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New concept Titan Engine IO320LT, give us your thoughts.

Relentless

Well Known Member
Bart and I have been working a concept engine for the lightest airframes out there. Bart is here starting assembling of first version for testing and display at Oshkosh. This XIO320LT is going to weight about 230lbs, is expected to be rated at 145hp, and run great on low octane fuel. Come by or submit comments here about this engine idea. The best part is the potential pricing that will be many thousand dollars less than the Lycoming 233...

15yalax.jpg

A few more pics around the shop today:

Dusty finishing our new angle valve XIO-409 Monster (we are thinking 240+hp)
1z5pxrp.jpg

Julian putting finishing touches on 340cc for the show
29pvnte.jpg

Last edited:
Dusty finishing our new angle valve XIO-409 Monster (we are thinking 340+hp)

QUOTE]

Is this a typo? Was that supposed to be 240+HP? WEhat is the cost of the angle valve 409? I will be buying an new engine next week.

Axel, I JUST sold a 320-A2B core that would've been PERFECT for a 340 conversion. Wish I would've known!

As for the lightweight 320... YES. Avoiding the O-23X engines is always better, O-320's are much more trouble free over the long haul. Wish I could make Oshkosh this year.

Last edited:
I'd imagine this has something to do with it being designed for a lightsport? 175 HP light sports go faster than 120Kts.

X-320LT

Why is the HP going to be 145? Any chance of upping the HP and still keep the reliability?

We are trying hard to expand the range of our engines at Titan using the components we have available. the 409 is certainly expanding the upper limits but the 320LT represents the light end. This new engine combination is designed to compete with 233 and possibly Rotax engines that are more expensive and very low power. Weight is the point.

A 320LT has a lightened 320 case, 235 crank, rods and pistons. To maintain reliability we will limit the hp by lowering the compression. When compared to the 233 and rotax 145hp is still substantially higher. Check out our latest price list on the contact page of our website, the price of the 320LT is very attractive compared to competitors.

If you would like more horse power you can move to normal 320 or 340 for same install and increase hp easily all the way up to about 188hp. :D The only penalty is weight. For example, our 340cc astm certified engine goes out the door every week at a scant 243lbs.

I could see the 320LT being ideal for a relative new comer, easy to built, "looks a bit like an RV-3" single seat airplane (which is named after a big cat) :D

Titan XIO-320LT stealing the show.... 230lbs, 145hp, autofuel..

Worried the lower hp rating might discourage, but not so. The 230 lb all in weight, low price, and simple package seems to be hitting cord with those who want lite weight engine in familiar package. 320LT shown with our new light weight oil sump, Skydynamics Sump, and Air Flow Performance new AFP150 servo. Low compression will give owners forced to use auto fuel a great reliable engine.

b3uek4.jpg

nlvjoj.jpg

2i108wh.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it, but weight is still too much for Kitfox and Rans, and likely most other LSA targets. Fine for those that could now take a 320, like CH750, balance is still an issue even though they have structure capability exceeding 1320 lb limitations. Not being real sharp on engine components, how does your 320LT fit within a 233 dimension envelope? Weight again, your display excludes niceties like ignition, alternator, and starter. What's going to be the flying weight? What pump? Low octane = mogas which is hardly available without ethanol contamination. Better use materials hardened against it.

John Siebold

RE: Titan XIO-320LT

The weight of the XIO-320LT might make it to heavy for some Rans aircraft models, but RANS has gone public that they are in the process of evaluating the six cylinder ULPower (180Hp @ 2800RPM) installed in their new Rans S20 Raven two place side by side aircraft. The performance increase with the ULPower engine is predicted to be substantial.

Rate of climb up 90%..........1000 to 1700fpm
Cruise speed up 17%............112 to 131 MPH
Fuel burn up to 7.5 from 5.5 (36%)
Absolute Range 3.4 hours 454 miles (128 less miles)
Payload.........500 (80 pounds less)
Take off roll..........150' (300' with 100 HP)

JUST Aircraft is also doing a similar eval of the ULPower six cyl in their SuperStol back coutry aircraft.

RANS has mentioned that a Lyc 0-320 is another option being considered for the S20 Raven. I would think that the XIO-320LT (230 lbs) would work equally as well as the ULPower six cylinder (238 lbs). The downside for either is the higher fuel burn and reduced range. I would venture that either engine in an experimental amateur built S20 will provide Carbon Cub performance.

I think there are a lot of places a light weight 0-320 like the XIO-320LT just might be the ticket, especially if the cost is competitive.

Looks like a work of art ! Great job! If you guys bumped up the power by 15-20 hp it looks like it would be competitive with the lightweight cubcrafters engine. I think there is huge market potential out there in the STOL / Super cub world for this ;)

Looks like a work of art ! Great job! If you guys bumped up the power by 15-20 hp it looks like it would be competitive with the lightweight cubcrafters engine. I think there is huge market potential out there in the STOL / Super cub world for this ;)

If you are talking about CubCrafter's 340CC, it is built by Titan.:D

Roller tappets

Beautiful engines and great customer support. I enjoyed discussing options with staff.
Only one issue.
When is Titan going to offer roller tappets?
Yes, I know about the special coating but still prefer the rollers.

To echo some of the other comments on here, I would like to know the all-up weight (starter, pumps etc.) and whether it will run on ethanolated fuel.

Greg

Limited HP for 320LT

Why is the HP going to be 145? Any chance of upping the HP and still keep the reliability?

If you want more hp just go with 320 or 340. These both can range from 150 to over 185 but the lightest versions we have built are around 240lbs. The idea here is to build an engine that is very reliable and cast effective as close to 200lbs as we can. 145hp is much more that the 233 and is designed for this market.

Roller tappets on Titan Engines

Beautiful engines and great customer support. I enjoyed discussing options with staff.
Only one issue.
When is Titan going to offer roller tappets?
Yes, I know about the special coating but still prefer the rollers.

We can offer now in our cases but price and need have not moved this forward. No performance upside, more parts, and higher cost.....:confused:

I would love to get ya'lls input on why you would want rollers and how much more would you be willing to pay for the option?

I say put A9 Motoreco PL treatment in your engine and you'll never have to deal with corrosion. We will treat all R Series engines with this...

Link to info

I have used in all my aircraft, race engines, and personal vehicles for years. I am sold!

Thanks Kevin, and Titan.

I stopped by the Titan tent at OSH, was looking for magneto gaskets, as I had a leak from one of mine.

Kevin offered to remove a mag and give me the gaskets from his display engine, as he did not have any spares available.

Not only do the engines look great, but this kind of service offer to a total stranger says a lot about the way they run the business.

Thanks, and best of luck with the new engines and accessories you are offering.

ah this just kills me

its not right all the exp guys get all the cool stuff

i would flip out if i could get 145hp on my 48 taylorcraft i can finally get a 0-200 on there but rpm limited to 85hp cert sucks

Back