What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easiest Instrument panel mock-up?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I want to assemble the instrument panel components to do the initial wiring and to check how the overall arrangement works and looks. I know I've seen some "test" panels here, but can't find them now. I don't want to do this on the official panel, so how are you guys assembling the components and holding them in place for this? Plywood? I'm finding that splintery and hard to get right. Another aluminum sheet?

If you want to use aluminum rather than ply or plexi then commercial grade aluminum is quite cheap. I got a sheet of 5005 alloy 4' x 8' .040 for about $30. It is also available thicker .063 same as the factory panels. This alloy is a bit softer than 2024 but for a trial run it is fine and an advantage is you work it with the same tools as the real panel.

Edit
A panel blank from Vans is only $35 (plus shipping) so another thought is to use one of those for the "test" panel and then you may well get it right on the first go, so it becomes the "real" panel!
I have been using a cardboard overlay with taped on full size prints of screen, instruments and radio etc.during initial mockup. It's obviously easy to move things around, before going to the effort of actually cutting a test panel.

Last edited:
I bought duplicate parts from Vans and assembled a panel and the first bulkhead. That way I was sure everything fit perfectly. I wired everything on the bench and powered everything up. It was easy to then transfer everything to the plane.

Foam Board

Like this. Easy to cut. Cheap.

Panel v3.0.jpg

Panel Mockup view of aft subpanel.jpg

hot glue

If you are any good with Microsoft and have access to Visio it is great for entering actual dimensions. You can then position everything digitally and when you print it is printed to the exact dimensions. I then tape the paper to the panel and start drilling /cutting. Has worked really well

Attachments

• B1EC7D44-7F92-4093-A98C-5142A8DAFA71.jpeg
    B1EC7D44-7F92-4093-A98C-5142A8DAFA71.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 76
Back