What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (11/19-20/2022)

Fall in the Cascades

Another great fall day around here. Cold and clear is a treat this time of year !!

Attachments

• 20221118_144526.jpg
    20221118_144526.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20221118_144719.jpg
    20221118_144719.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 20221118_144720.jpg
    20221118_144720.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 182
I have been messing around with the TailBeacon EXP installed on my RV-4 as it was not consistently passing the FAA PAPR. I have been making minor adjustments, and doing a flight to see what impact, if any, the adjustment had.

Today, I finally felt like my settings are correct now, so thought that the ADS-B performance report would pass today. First though, I did a firmware update because the device was running older versions of the various required firmwares. So after that was done (~30 seconds), I went up for a flight along the San Diego coast. Really nice day .. clear, a little breezy, but smooth along the coast at 3500'.

Landed, and then requested another PAPR from the FAA. As expected, the equipment performed flawlessly. Not even a tiny error was reported. :D

Attachments

• IMG_5168.jpeg
    IMG_5168.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 176
These pics were taken over the last several days in Washington State.

Mt. Baker on the right and Mt. Shuksan on the left:

i-RK9gzw5-XL.jpg

Cap cloud on Glacier Peak:

i-HP94w9d-XL.jpg

Tatoosh Island at Cape Flattery, the most northwestern point in the contiguous 48 states.

i-FTzk58s-XL.jpg

The Grand Coulee Dam looking north:

i-kZfWLNd-XL.jpg

"ArlingtonRV" preflighting after lunch at Forks:

i-7W2VvNW-XL.jpg

And home base, Arlington Municipal Airport (KAWO):

i-pmXwcML-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up Condion Inspection. Now that I crossed 1000 hours I am starting to do more preventative maintenance as well a some cosmetic fixes. The threads here on VAF forum were very helpful. Search, read, repeat, then go work on plane.

- replaced the UHMW anti-chaff on flap leading edge. Used the “eraser” wheel bought on Amazon to remove the old adhesive based on recommendation here on forum.
- replaced alternator belt that had 9 years and almost 500 hours on it. It was a Dayco TopCog and was just beginning to show a few hairline cracks on the outside. Replaced with Gates from O’Reilly Auto Parts based on recommendation here on forum although would stick with Dayco if I could have sourced locally.
- replaced several fuel hoses. Each year I am replacing a few hoses with new Teflon hose from TSFlightline based on recommendation here on forum. They built my hose and had it shipped in less than 24 hours. I installed it 4 days after I ordered.
- replaced all oil soaked wiring on my Reiff oil sump heat pads. They are all located right under oil plugs and over the years get dripped on a lot. Decided to just cut off old connectors and wired with new that could get secured out of the way.
- my hangar co-owner bought a VA-400 borescope at OSH this year. Borescoped a couple times learning how to use it and then to get some good pictures for comparison next year.

All in all my RV is holding up great and continues to give me a grin ever time I fly.

Last edited:
It wasn't my RV-8, but...

I (and numerous others) helped with the initial wing fitting on Bob Sultzbach's RV-8. It was the least I could do, since he helped me with my final wing fitting a little over a year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0693a.jpg
    IMG_0693a.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 189
On about day eight of a cold….mostly recovered. Sleeping pretty good finally - this cold really whooped me. PERFECT flying day here in N.Texas and I’m home resting <grin>. First world problem!

Hope you’re having a nice RV day with no mucus buildup. v/r,dr

Snow season started

Today was the first anniversary of the first flight of the RV-8.
I wanted to celebrate by taking it up for a quick run.
Unfortunately, no RV flying this week-end.
Since early last week, we've been hit with snow every day, around 30 cm.
I know, nothing like the crazy snow that fell east of the Great Lakes !!! :eek:
78 hours done in the last year.
Loved every minute and grinning before, during and after all flights.
Keep pounding those rivets !!! :cool:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-20 aÌ€ 16.18.19.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-20 aÌ€ 16.18.19.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 179
  • Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-20 aÌ€ 16.18.58.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-20 aÌ€ 16.18.58.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
Pants are on

Finish wheel pants install.
Started baffles.

Attachments

• 34A238B2-1BF1-4622-BE06-C42387FCC326.jpg
    34A238B2-1BF1-4622-BE06-C42387FCC326.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 112
Carl what altitude were you at cap cloud?

I was at 10,500'. Not the standard strong wave-associated cap cloud as the winds were not that great, just enough to get the moisture to condense out. Here's another pic:

i-FzGg8BG-XL.jpg

Copy thanks! Amazing pictures! I was trying to make something similar couple weeks ago at ~ 10K and got my butt kicked badly :D

Gorgeous day in Anacortes

Bill
Great pix of the N cascades
We are here in Anacortes with family for T-Giving
Would love to connect
Jim Frisbie
RV 9A (sold)
RV 10 90%

Earned my tail wheel endorsement in my new to me rv7. Oh ya!

That is really fantastic. Congrats!
How was it getting your tailwheel endorsement? How long did it take you? What did you find was the most challenging part of it? Easiest part? Have you done your "first solo" yet?

I was at 10,500'. Not the standard strong wave-associated cap cloud as the winds were not that great, just enough to get the moisture to condense out. Here's another pic:

i-FzGg8BG-XL.jpg
Thanks for posting that Carl! Amazing shot!

Not as exciting of a picture as Carl's but phase one going well with 11.6 hours on the Thunderbolt engine and 13.8 on the airplane. The plane is flying great with no roll or skid, time to put the wheel pants and leg fairings on and see if that changes.

Somewhere over eastern Colorado:
Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Cylinder temp on #2 is consistently about 20 degrees higher than others on every flight to date. I cut down the air dam in front of the cylinder a little bit but may do more after a few more hours. This was the first flight with the oil cooler 2/3 blocked off to help raise oil temps... it's cold this time of year in CO and was having trouble getting it to 160. Still running a lot power (WOT) and fuel to continue the break in. I've used less than a quart in since I started running it, happy with that!

Tried out the auto pilot for the first time on this flight (2.5 hours), works fantastic and hold altitude within 20 feet (probably 10 really) in cruise and with course and heading change. Time to start some more interesting test flying.

Back