What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help finding answers

Ex172Owner

I have an RV-8 I didn't build. I do not have the full set of plans, but I do have the USB drive with the drawings and manual. I have searched it for the answer to this question unsuccessfully.

In what part of the drawings or manual is the procedure for installing and tensioning the rudder cables, or any other rigging? Why can't I find this in the plans? (My rudder cables are VERY loose. With no pressure on the pedals, I can easily tug them about 4" to the side at the tail. Is this normal? I have the adjustable-position pedals.)

In VAF Forums I've found several posts referencing a description in the plans for using a wooden block to set the rudder cable tension. Nobody mentions a specific document where this is found.

Also, I know this will seem like a dumb question, but there are separate plans indexes for "2002 - Non-PP" and "2006 - PP" but nowhere can I find what those abbreviations mean. I assume it means Pre Punched, right?

Thanks from an RV neophyte.

I believe you’re right, PP is the designation for pre punched. I don’t think the rudder cables get any tension.. just your feet on the pedals. I’m away from my plans now to give you a better answer.

The usb preview plans are the complete plans. You get the full size paper prints with each subkit, but they are the same.

That is the design. There is no preload tension on the rudder cables. Your feet provide the tension as needed.

The aileron and elevator pushrod lengths are in the plans. Then you fine tune / adjust the lengths in accordance with the rigging instructions in the build manual.

Thanks Mike! Since you're in progress with the RV-8 finishing kit, where did you get your instructions for connecting the rudder cables? Just curious. And do you know where I can find the business about using a wooden block for setting the cable lengths?

Van’s

You can get the plans from Van’s and they are cheap.

The cable lengths are preset...there is no adjusting them.

Don

Howdy Doug. I am building a -7 and do not know how the rudder cables fit to the rudder pedals on the -8. However, on the -7, the builder has the option to drill multiple locations for mounting the pedals. This gives some pedal adjustment fore and aft. The rudder cables are premade by vans as supplied in the kit. However, there is a simple flat metal link between the cables and the rudder pedals. This link is made by the builder and can be any length they want to "adjust" overall cable length/tension.

For the -7, this link is shown on drawing 37, lower left, Exploded View.

(If someone could insert a picture, I would be much obliged.)

If you are interested in having new cables made to a specific length, I can make them for you. PM if interested.

I have an RV-8 I didn't build. I do not have the full set of plans, but I do have the USB drive with the drawings and manual. I have searched it for the answer to this question unsuccessfully.

In what part of the drawings or manual is the procedure for installing and tensioning the rudder cables, or any other rigging? Why can't I find this in the plans? (My rudder cables are VERY loose. With no pressure on the pedals, I can easily tug them about 4" to the side at the tail. Is this normal? I have the adjustable-position pedals.)

In VAF Forums I've found several posts referencing a description in the plans for using a wooden block to set the rudder cable tension. Nobody mentions a specific document where this is found.

Also, I know this will seem like a dumb question, but there are separate plans indexes for "2002 - Non-PP" and "2006 - PP" but nowhere can I find what those abbreviations mean. I assume it means Pre Punched, right?

Thanks from an RV neophyte.

Yup, “PP” stands for pre-punched. Depends on when your -8 was built.

Rudder cables are a standard length. However, your “chains” can be adjusted to your liking. Some folks like them loose, some like them tight, some install a rocket rod. There are also some like mine with Tail Lynx that serve a similar function to the Vans supplied chains.

You’ll find the “rigging” information on drawing 73. With the USB drive you do indeed have the full set of plans both PP and non-PP.

Attachments

• 262126C9-DAE9-401A-8891-D3DAC291F33B.jpg
    262126C9-DAE9-401A-8891-D3DAC291F33B.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 181
The procedure for installing the rudder cables is outlined in the construction manual. On my set of electronic plans it's page 8-60. On the off chance the manual has been revised and your page numbers don't match up, you can also search for the section heading "RUDDER CONTROL CABLES." That section describes routing the cables, and the following section ("RUDDER PEDALS") describes the rest of the rigging procedure.

As others have mentioned, there's no tension adjustment for the cables. Each cable is anchored at the firewall, then passes through an S-shaped channel in the rudder pedal assembly before heading aft to eventually connect to the control horn. The only adjustment involved is at the firewall anchor points, and all that does is control the positions of the pedals relative to the rudder. The procedure is to clamp the rudder in-trail, then play with the anchor adjustment until the pedals are 1) aligned with each other and 2) oriented to your liking (the manual calls for them to be vertical).

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Thanks for the replies, all good information.

I do have some trouble reaching the rudder pedals while taxiing, so I may look into adjusting the pedal positions.

Side note: I'm still trying to figure out why I can create a new forum thread sometimes (obviously, since I created this one), but not other times, like now for instance.

Side note: I'm still trying to figure out why I can create a new forum thread sometimes (obviously, since I created this one), but not other times, like now for instance.

You need to be in the forum list, not a thread in the forum.

Back