What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Does the Tip Up Sit?

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. Looking through the construction of the tip up canopy, it is not clear to me how the canopy "sits" nor how it seals. I see spacers are used to keep the frame off of the longerons and I see spacers are used to keep the frame off of the roll bar. But what does it sit/rest on or against when closed? It seems to float and rely on the rear latches and top rear latch to support it. Are there seals around the perimeter for rain/cold air?

Granted I have not ventured to far into the instructions/plans as I am just getting started building the frame, but if someone can answer these basic questions, I won't have to keep looking!

Much obliged.

Howdy everyone. Looking through the construction of the tip up canopy, it is not clear to me how the canopy "sits" nor how it seals. I see spacers are used to keep the frame off of the longerons and I see spacers are used to keep the frame off of the roll bar. But what does it sit/rest on or against when closed? It seems to float and rely on the rear latches and top rear latch to support it. Are there seals around the perimeter for rain/cold air?

Granted I have not ventured to far into the instructions/plans as I am just getting started building the frame, but if someone can answer these basic questions, I won't have to keep looking!

Much obliged.

I think you pretty much have it. It is just supported by the canopy lip itself at the rear, which is pulled down to the roll bar. That is it. There is no support off of the longerons. There will actually be a gap there. "Sealing" is all up to you.

Thanks Scared. I see now what you mean by the canopy sitting over the roll bar; missed that originally.

I wanted the canopy to sit at the same position every time for various reasons. At the very rear of the canopy area of the fuse, I put a rounded off studs on each side with a nut above and below the horizontal piece. Then put flange bushings in bottom of canopy frame. You can adjust the height of the nut and it pulls into the same position on 2 axis every time. Also have a couple pieces of composite to guide the canopy straight the last 2 inches.

Lay

Back