What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone use the Boeing Anti-slip rivet set?

Surfdoc

I was gifted recently with the Boeing Anti-Slip rivet set with the polyurethane ring. It seems to be the polyurethane stands proud of the face and wondering o how it would set a rivet nice and flush. Is it worth a shot or continue on with the norm?

I tried using one and didn't like it due to the amount of pressure required to compress the ring. If not compresses, it will pound the skin.

I think some have has success by trimming down the rubber ring closer to flush.. maybe try the 3m wheel to polish it down..

I was gifted recently with the Boeing Anti-Slip rivet set with the polyurethane ring. It seems to be the polyurethane stands proud of the face and wondering o how it would set a rivet nice and flush. Is it worth a shot or continue on with the norm?

They are the best. I have two of different sizes, and it's really hard to do a rivet wrong with them. I have spare replacement polyurethane rings but have never needed to change them yet.

Boing rivet set

I have a few of them and like them. But, as said, the rubber??? ring is a bit high. You can use a big rubber O-ring also as I have done when the Nitryl ring went bad.
Now for the proud ring. If you chuck the set up in an electric drill, turn on your scotch-bright wheel grinder you can smooth down the ring and polish the face of the set also. Gets the ring down flatter with the face of the set.

Art

I have the swivel set bought from Avery 20+ years ago. I love it. It's done two RVs and allowed my wife to handle the gun where I needed a second pair of hands.

I have the swivel set bought from Avery 20+ years ago. I love it. It's done two RVs and allowed my wife to handle the gun where I needed a second pair of hands.

That’s the one I have and IIRC, Jim? Avery would fine tune the rubber by sanding it down by hand on each and every one before it shipped.

I think the swivel one, with the big rubber ring is completely unusable. I threw mine away in disgust.

I have one that looks like the one in your picture. It works great for me. No mods required!

I agree with this; I have never been able to get my swivel set to work well. Probably a technique or personal thing: it can't be that bad if some people can get it to work and swear by it.

But I love the Boeing style one, and can't stand the swivel type. Others feel the opposite.

It's funny--it's like when people ask for advice when they are just starting to get into competitive shooting. There is no one gun or tool that is best for everyone--the best is what works best for you!

I posted a review of how much I liked the Boeing ST set and it almost started a primer war. I found it to be much better for me particularly when working by myself.

Back