What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Tire Bead Breaker

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
I was having some difficulty breaking the bead of these tires. They're about 5 years old at about 500 hours (Desser retreads - Monster Tires).

Found it really tough to break the bead until I realized I had one of those ubiquitous Black and Decker portable work benches with built-in vise feature. Tire just fits in the opening; made the job real easy.

IMG_20160705_195751.jpg

IMG_20160705_195953.jpg

cool trick

After watching the series of EAA videos, I ran out and bought a Harbor Freight bead breaker. Wish I had thought of your trick with the B&D bench!

Somewhere here in VAF archives there is a secret how to break the bead in the field. Nothing is available assuming you can get the wheel off. I tried it and it worked. Anybody remembers the trick? :D

Somewhere here in VAF archives there is a secret how to break the bead in the field. Nothing is available assuming you can get the wheel off. I tried it and it worked. Anybody remembers the trick? :D

1 cup of 100LL applied to the bead? I read that somewhere...

I stand on the darn thing. Wheel flat on the ground, with me standing on the tire with my feet on either side of the wheel. A little jitterbug action and voila - broken bead.

I'm sure there's another way, but this one works in my hangar and in the field.

1 cup of 100LL applied to the bead? I read that somewhere...

Correct. Apply and press/walk on tire with your feet. A challenge to stay balanced though... Another cup and wash-rinse-repeat. The bead will separate from the rim on third cup. 100LL will evaporate fast :D

Edit; we are talking 1 oz cup here.

Last edited:
Bead breaking

"Given a lever long enough, a fulcrum strong enough, and a place to stand, you can move the world!"

I place wheel on carpeted floor beside sturdy hanger support beam, then use a 2x4 lever to try and lift the hangar using tire sidewall as a fulcrum. Haven't been able to lift the hangar yet! The tire bead releases easily under the controlled pressure. Avoid the valve stem area to prevent tube damage.

Jay

Back