What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Redlands Beer Run (KREI)

pmccoy

Well Known Member
Ok, so I gave up eating meat. That means no more $100 hamburgers. It's just not the same flying in for a veggie patty. (B.T.W. - I lost 40 pounds eating a plant based diet)

So what's a person to do.... Turns out the Hangar 24 Brewery is just across the street from the Redlands airport in Southern California. I have purchased two 'growlers', which are refillable beer containers. I have a cooler, fly over to Redlands, get my growlers refilled (Sealed Container), and fly home. Once the plane is put to bed and there is no more flying for the day... it's time to enjoy a nice beer.

Made that trip today. Flew out over the desert and did a few stalls and steep 360 turns. Landed in Big Bear and checked up on my cabin. Took off and basically glided right down to Redlands. Well I was over getting my growlers filled, Alan from AntiSplat Aero must have strolled past my plane, as he left a card behind.

Now that was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Oh, now it's Sunday night, and that Pale Ale is mighty fine...

Congrats on the 40# Peter! Now, you may have to bring some of that beer to Oshkosh next year. :)

Lucky you.
A friend of mine lives in Redlands. One time when she came up for a visit she brought me a sampler of their various beers. All were really good. Too far away to make it worth the effort, now once the airplane is done that will be another story. Sure I can just drive downtown and get it at bevmo now but that takes all the fun out of it.

Pete, congrats on the weight loss and the healthy decisions! We're on the same path, a plant-based diet! I went into it not even thinking about losing weight, but for health reasons. I want to be as healthy as possible so I can fly my RV for many, many years. I was surprised when I quickly took off 25# that I didn't need. Lots of other benefits, too.

If you decide to fly up this way, let me know, will you? Portland is known for our many micro-breweries and there's much to sample around here!

Cheers! :)

Peter you just gave me an excellent idea! To find a brewery across a runway. There is a distillery run by a fellow RVator but brewery... Will be looking... :)

Pete, Come on down to Twisted Manzanita Brewing which is just next to Gillespie Field (KSEE) in El Cajon. They also distill Spirits!

No shortage of great beer in the San Diego area, but that is the only one I know of really close to an airport.

There is a distillery run by a fellow RVator but brewery... Will be looking... :)

Vlad-

The Sly Fox Brewery (http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/) is located in the same business park as the Manatawny Distillery. I see a brewery and still in my coming up weekend plans at KPTW.

From the Sly Fox Website

Pottstown Airport Business Center
331 Circle of Progress Drive
Pottstown, PA 19464
P: 484-524-8210

TOURS:
Saturdays & Sundays, 2:00pm & 4:00pm
Please call ahead: 484-300-4644

proximity

Allan has been known to shut down the RV leaving Big Bear and simply glide back home. Great savings... and can be used across the street to invest in hops.

I also found Hangar 24 a couple years ago while an airplane I manage was at an MRO in KSBD.... I now routinely fly my Cherokee to REI to get my growler topped.. Soon I hope to make that growler run in my 7.

There is another micro brewery right off airport at my home airport in Long Beach, KLGB, So Cal called Timeless Pints.. Great beer! if you go into Airflite (FBO) the girls will run you over or possibly loan you the crew car to make a growler run...

There only open Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun 2-8 PM. Beer only no food!

Check it out!

Boulder Beer

On my recent flight to Boulder we had a post flight beer and lunch at Boulder Beer Co. Probably about a 40 minute easy walk (less than 2 miles) from the airport and the Buffalo Burger was delicious! I'm sure the FBO would drive you over.

IMG_0583-M.jpg

Scourge of the Dude taster was available that day, so I had to give it a taste.

Last edited:
Back