What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

We are now the envy of the Airport!

comfortcat

Well Known Member
I had a hanger partner who wanted his own hanger, so when one became available he left.

*sigh*

But here on VAF I found another who is building an RV9A just like mine. No only a RV bulder but one of his many skills is that of a contractor.

He takes one look at the hanger and says: "Ya know we could use some extra space for storage, so how about a mezzanine?

What?

So he did the engineering, we got a neighbor with a folk lift, friends and family stopped by, and VOILA! We got a mezzanine!!!

We are now officially the envy of the airport. We get guys stopping by more often that just saying "whatca building?"

2i8kwuq.jpg

NICE!!!!!!!

If you won't be going up there often you might consider replacing the stairs with a set of "retractible" attic stairs. This will give you back quite a bit of floor space.

Last edited:
Hat Check

Will there be a hat check before the Mezzanine level for all the VAF hats? Just askin'!

Banister

Excellent work. Looks very sturdy. High enough to be out of the way of anything on the ground floor.
However, to me it also looks kinda scary.
Its only a matter of time before someone or something steps...

Looks like you got your roof to your spay booth done. Hang some 5 mil plastic off the edge and add an exhaust fan and you are read for the primer wars.

Our airport had lots of home grown "additions" in the hangars. After a fire in one hangar, the fire department came through and looked for permits on all additions. Those without building permits were forced to tear them down. Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you a heads up for what happened at another SoCal airport.

nuthin' a sign won't fix...

one of my favourite sayings.....

just clearly label it as a 'shelf',
"not for permanent occupation by persons, equipment or animals."

( which should cover those in VAF hats that wander in.......) :)

no permit required.

and those stairs with no railing???

" incremental vertical cleco and AN hardware sorting apparatus"

spray booth sending off red flags?????

how about a 'dust control, mitigation and environmental enclosure facilitating application of liquid anti corrosive coatings' ?

failing that, you can always resort to ' it was like that when I got here in ott three!':rolleyes:

Nice addition to your hangar.
To avoid engineering something attached to structure, potential permit issues, etc.... I repurposed some used industrial shelving which was readily available and pretty cheap.
I found a rolling stair on CL for cheap and use chain between stantions with carabiners for railing.
Each shelf assembly is rated for 6000#, floor joists 2x8 at 16" OC, and deck is T&G 2x6.
Total area is 12' x 16'.
Biggest disadvantage is you do lose working area underneath vs post and beam construction. But you do pick up shelving space. It also lends itself more to a rectangular shape as opposed to a thinner longer mezzanine.

It is now fully loaded with shelving and Fiat G.46 parts.
2mpkgfd.jpg

Back