What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SoCal Newbie, from CCB

SoCal Flyer

I know, another newbie post. I'm sure you get these all the time.
Just joined and have been poking around a bit. Thought I would introduce myself and maybe find some local builders
I currently own and fly a Piper Archer ll out of cable airport in Upland CA.
I've been talking for a while about building an RV with my Son. I was always thinking I would build an RV 10, but now I'm leaning towards an RV 7 or 9.
Of course I have a million questions and I know most have been answered numerous times on the blog. I search a lot of my questions and I'm always amazed at the great responses.
I'm signed up along with my son to go to a 2 day RV builder class in riverside in December. I'm looking forward to this class and I'm hoping to get a Lot of information there.
I just got my preview plans from Vans in the mail a couple days ago for the RV9. Just starting to look over them.
I'll start with just a couple questions
Are there any local builders in my area that are in the middle of a project that I could go look at and get some ideas of the process.
I have zero time in a RV. Is going up to the Vans headquarters the best way to go up in an RV? Do they ever do fly ins where you can test fly, or at least go up?
Look forward to responses and getting to know you all.

SoCal newbie...

Greetings!

I'm Dave and I'm about just over 1/2 way through an RV-9A at KWHP. You are welcome to stop by and have a look. We usually work on Saturday and you can PM me for more info. You can see where we stand at:

www.tdaircraft.com

Cheers!

Dkb

Thanks Dave

I will contact you and try to set up a Saturday I can stop by. Thanks for the quick response and invite.
Looked at your site. Looks to coming along nicely.
I'll keep on touch
Scott

I know, another newbie post. I'm sure you get these all the time.
Just joined and have been poking around a bit. Thought I would introduce myself and maybe find some local builders
I currently own and fly a Piper Archer ll out of cable airport in Upland CA.
I've been talking for a while about building an RV with my Son. I was always thinking I would build an RV 10, but now I'm leaning towards an RV 7 or 9.
Of course I have a million questions and I know most have been answered numerous times on the blog. I search a lot of my questions and I'm always amazed at the great responses.
I'm signed up along with my son to go to a 2 day RV builder class in riverside in December. I'm looking forward to this class and I'm hoping to get a Lot of information there.
I just got my preview plans from Vans in the mail a couple days ago for the RV9. Just starting to look over them.
I'll start with just a couple questions
Are there any local builders in my area that are in the middle of a project that I could go look at and get some ideas of the process.
I have zero time in a RV. Is going up to the Vans headquarters the best way to go up in an RV? Do they ever do fly ins where you can test fly, or at least go up?
Look forward to responses and getting to know you all.

Welcome to VAF!

My name is Skylor and I have an RV-8 that I built with my girlfriend and my father. I'm based at Torrance, but I would be glad to fly out to CCB to show you my plane and answer your questions. Feel free to contact me by private message.

Skylor

Welcome to VAF!

Scott,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF

SoCal Flyer... there are lots of RV's at Cable. I built my 9A in the EAA hangar there. I know of at least 3 RV 9's that are still based out of Cable. Greg is just about ready for his first flight. Yes, you can go up and take a factory tour to get a ride in an RV. You can also hang out at Cable, get to know the guys, and you will get offered rides every now and then. At least that's how it worked for me.

I am down at Chino. If your interested, I would offer a ride for you and your son in my 9A.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.
Skylor, I'll PM you, thanks for the offer.
Mike S... Thanks
Pmccoy, I'll ask around and locate the RV's on the field. I've stopped by the EEA hanger a couple times, but have not seen anybody there. I'll keep trying. It's always been during the week, I'll try a weekend and hope I have better luck.
I'll try to set up a time to come to chino. I know I'll be there for the AOPA fly-in in late Sept. I'm volunteering.
The EAA hanger rents out build space? I need to get over there and meet some people. I wasn't even sure if they were still active at CCB.
Thanks again for all the responses,
I can tell this is a great community and look forward to joining

Tool question

I was looking on google for information on cables EAA and ran across your builders log. Very cool pictures and of course a beautiful plane.
I went by the EAA hanger and still nobody around. I'm sure I'll stumble across someone soon.
Running thru your blog, you mentioned the purchase of a RV9A builders tool set you picked up from Avery tools.
Now that you have completed your build, is something you recommend to do? Any additional tools or tools you found not needed for the build?

I was looking on google for information on cables EAA and ran across your builders log. Very cool pictures and of course a beautiful plane.
I went by the EAA hanger and still nobody around. I'm sure I'll stumble across someone soon.
Running thru your blog, you mentioned the purchase of a RV9A builders tool set you picked up from Avery tools.
Now that you have completed your build, is something you recommend to do? Any additional tools or tools you found not needed for the build?

Yes, buy an RV tool kit. Several companies put them together. I got mine from Avery, but other suppliers make great tool kits as well. As you start the build, each time the plans called for an aircraft tool or widget, I would look over at my tool kit, and there it was. Over the years you end up buying more stuff, but you can't beat a pre-packaged tool kit to get you going.

I will contact you and try to set up a Saturday I can stop by. Thanks for the quick response and invite.
Looked at your site. Looks to coming along nicely.
I'll keep on touch
Scott

When you set it up, shoot me a PM...I'm at WHP and have a completed -7A. You're welcome to come by and check it out!

LOTS of RVs at WHP...

Thanks

Thanks RV7A flyer. I'll let you know when I head out to WHP

Anyone have any preference on tool supply companies. I was thinking of trying to find a package put together for RV's
I've looked at aircraft spruce and they have a RV builders package. And I'll check out Avery.
Any others?

Local ?

Im in the middle of a 7a and close to Cable. I'll be working on it most of this weekend. Where do u live ? Send me a PM.

Keith

Back