What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a demo ride SE Michigan

Timbo

I'm New Here
I've been lurking for far too long on this website and have decided to pull the trigger on a tail kit, likely a 9. I'm a low hour, C-152, 172 pilot and not even current at this time. I am planning a trip to Aurora to get a demo ride, but thought I check to see if I can get in a 9 or 7 without flying to Oregon. Happy to "share" cost.

I'm located in Port Huron, an hour north of Detroit. Could of sworn that I saw an RV flying around KPHN yesterday afternoon.

email: [email protected]

Thanks,

Tim

Tim-

When I started build my 9A in 2006, I had 82 hours as a pilot and had not been current for over 20 years.

Now that I built and fly a 9A, I have 350 hours as a pilot with 185 of them in the RV. You will love the 9. It's really a great airplane.

Good luck finding a ride. I would offer, but SoCal to Michigan is a long way to go...

Tim-

When I started build my 9A in 2006, I had 82 hours as a pilot and had not been current for over 20 years.

Now that I built and fly a 9A, I have 350 hours as a pilot with 185 of them in the RV. You will love the 9. It's really a great airplane.

Good luck finding a ride. I would offer, but SoCal to Michigan is a long way to go...

I flew with Pete for 1.7 of those hours (he graciously gave me a demo flight) and was thrilled with the response and the overall smoothness of his ship. The 9 has a great combination of attributes (high ceiling, super low Vfe, etc.) and is a great choice if you're not into aerobatics. I say buy the tail kit and get started!

Even if you go the QB route as I did, it's a huge commitment of time and energy, but it is so satisfying to see it come together. Every little subassembly that I complete just spurs me on to do the next step. It's quite addicting!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the responses and it is exactly what a newbie like me needed to hear. Terry I'll give you a call later this afternoon and will shoot you a Private Message as well.

If all goes as planned I hope to be much more active (read in asking questions) on VAF.

Tim

Next step

Tim,

If you would like to see what the pieces look like I am working on the wings in Lapeer, just a short drive further north from Terry.

Keith
586-531-5513

Got a ride - thanks Terry

From a small post on this forum a few weeks ago to my first RV-9 ride yesterday. A very sincere thank you to Terry Kohler for the opportunity to fly in his 9A, what a beautiful aircraft and gracious host. Terry also pointed me to EAA chapter 13 in Ray, Michigan and I was able to attend my first meeting there. Somehow they arranged for me to win the 50/50 drawing at my first meeting. Now that's making someone feel welcome! Hopefully my next post will indicate that the tail kit is on order.
Keith, once I get my tail kit I'd like to give you a call and see your wings in progress.

You gotta love the good ship VAF! Way to go in getting the "newbie" a ride guys. We'll keep building this hobby one pilot at a time.

Back