What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Cutting Idea..... Hmmm...

Phil

Well Known Member
I haven't tried this yet, but it made the wheels in my head turn a bit.

I accidentally left my shop light inside the fuselage and turned on when I shut off the lights in the garage. Oddly enough, I believe I see a very very simple way to get the doors cut perfectly the first time.

Now I just need to get the guts up to try it!! :D:D:D

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

Let me know how it turns out...

just finished installing steps last night, so I have a little ways to go. I prepared surfaces then epoxied step in place. After tightening bolt, the .035" thick tube is 1.470" o.d. Started out at 1.500". Definitely could have used thicker tubing and 1/4" bolts. Applied proseal to outside this morning.

Looking forward to cabin top/doors.:D Happy Thanksgiving!

10 O'lantern

Many of the best inventions and ideas were developed by accident.
Kind of like that time I was hanging the clock in the bathroom and slipped hitting my head - inventing the Flux Capacitor :D (Just Kidding).

Stick some electrical tape eyes, nose and mouth ala-10 O'lantern on it and take another photo quick! It would be a classic on Doug's rotating RV picture library!

Not so fast

It's actually 'not' a good idea. The light will cast many shadows around the rain gutter and you will not get a clear line of where to cut. I challenge any of the folks that like this idea to try it on THEIR project and let us know it worked out :D.

IMO......the best (and fastest) way to final trim the door to a perfect fit is to use a hand made edge finder that slips under the door and 'finds' the inside of the cabin. You simply put a hole in the end just large enough for a #7 lead pencil and draw your line all the way around the door then cut. Takes about 2 minutes to make.

Not so fast

It's actually 'not' a good idea. The light will cast many shadows around the rain gutter and you will not get a clear line of where to cut. I challenge any of the folks that like this idea to try it on THEIR project and let us know it worked out :D.

IMO......the best (and fastest) way to final trim the door to a perfect fit is to use a hand made edge finder that slips under the door and 'finds' the inside of the cabin. You simply put a hole in the end just large enough for a #7 lead pencil and draw your line all the way around the door then cut. Takes about 2 minutes to make.

You're right about the shadows and the gutter, but that was actually pretty easy to handle. It was pretty easy to direct the light so the gutter was never on the way.

Phil

Back