What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio static...alternator?

bob888

Well Known Member
I have static in both radios that goes away when I turn off the alternator. It is a Plane Power internally regulated alternator. The static is not the typical whine of a failed diode. I ran a separate ground wire from the alternator case to the engine block but no change. Now I have replaced the alternator and the static persists, still stops when the alternator is turned off. I am looking for suggestions...anyone have a similar problem and even better, a solution?

Perhaps some details will help:
- You went from no static to static. Anything change, any maintenance or did the noise just start?
- The engine starts as before? If so this confirms a good ground.
- The noise goes away with the alternator off. You replaced the alternator and this same noise is there with the alternator on. I assume your alternator output voltage is correct. If so I’d guess this to be voltage related, and the alternator is not the source.
- Have you tried pulling all breakers other than one radio at a time to see if the static goes away? If not, start with whatever you are using for a USB charging port.

Let us know what you fine out.
Carl

My Lemo plugs have static with the alternator right after start and getting the initial charge. The dual plugs have no static. I moved the ground location which helped a bit but I still have some static.

Good suggestions...I have lemo plugs and will check with regular plugs. Also work through other circuits. Thanks for the input.

Back