What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

496 data downloads

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
For some of us that built the early 12s. I have the D--180 and G-496.
I tried to do an update for data and firmware last week but was not able to communicate with the 496 using mygarmin. Garmin said that my usb-2 and 496 were to slow to talk with the streaming download. Has anyone found a way to make the communication work?
On another note, I noticed that I no longer have my wind vector and speed showing up on the D-180. I think that is because I didn't change the setting in the setup menu back to what it was before the download try. What should the setting be so that the 496 will communicate with the 180?

For some of us that built the early 12s. I have the D--180 and G-496.
I tried to do an update for data and firmware last week but was not able to communicate with the 496 using mygarmin. Garmin said that my usb-2 and 496 were to slow to talk with the streaming download. Has anyone found a way to make the communication work?
On another note, I noticed that I no longer have my wind vector and speed showing up on the D-180. I think that is because I didn't change the setting in the setup menu back to what it was before the download try. What should the setting be so that the 496 will communicate with the 180?

Try calling Dynon technical services on Monday - Friday. Or if you have the Dynon D-180 manual, it might be in there, during "setup." It's usually some sort of baud rate choice, 10,800, or more or less. You could ask Garmin, too, what the baud rate is on their G-496 for output. RFSchaller would have the settings off of his D-180 -G496 built plane, maybe PM him, or he shows up here, later.

Last edited:
slow or fast?

Last time I updated my 496s, I had to call Garmin, due to the download failing.
support suggested my USB was too fast, and instructed me to run the connection thru an old USB hub I had collecting dust - in an effort to reduce the speed of the data stream. It worked

If I remember correctly you go into the D180 to find the G496...I have the 495 and had to do that after an update to the D180...that info may be on an old thread here that was about 2 years ago.

Back