What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Logbook Question

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
So...I have a standard aircraft logbook. On the general info page, there are places to fill out such as:

Manufacturer_______________
Model_____________________
Serial Number______________
etc., etc.__________________

I am the builder right? But I am not the kit manufacturer, right?

What is the correct response here in filling this page out?

If this plane were a Van's RV8, who is the manufacturer? Is it Vans? Or is it me, the builder? I did not manufacture the kit, but I did build the plane from the supplied kit from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Whatever's on your data plate I would say.

I've always thought it was a bit of ambiguity on that score -- for example with regards to the required transponder check, you are decidedly not the manufacturer and can't do that check on that basis, as it turns out. Also in FAA records you will see planes registered all different ways, i.e. John Doe RV, or John Doe / Van's RV, or just Van's RV.

Given that I think the answer is, whatever you want. Personally I put Henderson / Van's RV-6. I've thought that it could be a liability if there was an accident with a future owner but at the end of the day my name is all over the thing anyway in the condition inspection signoffs, operating limitations, etc. so there's no secret who put it together.

Whatever is on the AW is what I'd put in there. I'm guessing it's something like

Mfgr: Guy, Tx Fly
Model: Vans RV8

So...I have a standard aircraft logbook. On the general info page, there are places to fill out such as:
Manufacturer_______________
Model_____________________
Serial Number______________
etc., etc.__________________
I am the builder right? But I am not the kit manufacturer, right?
What is the correct response here in filling this page out?
If this plane were a Van's RV8, who is the manufacturer? Is it Vans? Or is it me, the builder? I did not manufacture the kit, but I did build the plane from the supplied kit from the manufacturer.

In this case YOU are the manufacturer of the aircraft. As shown on registration "MYRON OLESON".

In this case YOU are the manufacturer of the aircraft. As shown on registration "MYRON OLESON".

Yes, 100% correct! I should have looked there (registration) first. That would have answered my question.

Thanks!

Back