What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

missing lower cowl hinge pin retainer bracket

echostar7

on my -6 cowl, the lower cowl bottom hinge pins have retainer clips which are not welded on, holding the handle end of the hinge pin and they screw in to the lower cowl with flush screws and a self-locking nut. Well one of those retainer clips went missing somehow. Is there a vans PN for this, it just looks like a folded over piece of aluminum large enough to feed the hinge pin through and a hole drilled in it for the screw. I looked at DWG 63 and I don't see a retainer clip for the two lower pins.

What you describe was not ever documented as standard build in the plans. Perhaps the builder cut a section out of a piece of hinge and used one loop of it to make the brackets you are describing?

yes it is a homemade part but I think it is necessary as it is now because the hinge pins are very loose and will slide out of the hinge without much effort, is that normal for the lower pins? an alternative I could see is just going up to a heavier gage wire that matches better with the hinges.

yes it is a homemade part but I think it is necessary as it is now because the hinge pins are very loose and will slide out of the hinge without much effort, is that normal for the lower pins? an alternative I could see is just going up to a heavier gage wire that matches better with the hinges.

Having some method of capturing cowl attachment hinge pins is a good idea.
The original RV-6 plans had a suggested method for the bottom pins depicted in the plans, but it was different than you are describing.

I'm in the same boat

The lower cowl horizontal pins on my 31 year old Rv6 have no method to secure the pins. What is the recommended method?

Back