What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Simple Question

I just bought my first RV 7-A and went to my local hardware store to have a duplicate ignition key made. The clerk asked me why the key was for, and then combed through their entire stock looking for a suitable blank. No joy. Where's a good place/source to get an RV blank/duplicate?

A good locksmith store. They sell everything with a lock and can duplicate anything.

Not nessisarily.. The locksmith will still have to try and order the blank. They are "backward" blanks with the teeth on the opposite side as normal.
Good luck. It's hard to find the blanks.

If you have the common ACS ignition switch you can order keys from Aircraft Spruce, all you need is the key code number stamped on it.

Depends on the ignition, but as someone already said, if it came from a/c spruce then you should be able to get duplicates. If not, then step one is probably figuring out who made it.

Fun Fact: The key to my Craftsman toolbox will unlock/start about 1 in 5 old Cessnas.

Here in Orygun, we have a few locksmiths that are the old world type.
An old school locksmith will find a blank and cut a key. Make sure the practitioner uses "Brill Cream" in their hair and wears a uniform that looks like it came from a Sears catalog circa 1957. :)

I went to Home Depot assuming it was a common key...not so.

I took a shot in the dark and tried Ace Hardware, they were able to make one up for me on the spot.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 20
Fun Fact #2; A chevrolet trunk key would open every cockpit door on Delta?s fleet of 727?s.

So would my little pen knife with a picture of a horse on it. It also would unlock any crew members luggage if they for some reason locked it (back when we could carry a pocket knife on a trip). Never tried it on a Cessna, but it would have probably unlocked some of those too.

Gremlin

My mechanic always used a Gremlin gas cap key for my Archer. :cool:

Funny. I owned an AMC Gremlin for many years through HS and college. Sold it at 200K and wished I still had it. Key was required to start it but for some reason, it would easily come out. I could leave the engine running and go to the back to unlock the hatch.
I have lots of memories of that car. I used to cook my lunch wrapped in foil on the exhaust header on the way to Boca Chica beach. Same beach that's now a launch pad. The 30 mile trip was the perfect cook time for a Chicken breast with some onions and potatoes. Camped in the back. It was plenty of room.
Thanks for the memories.

Back