What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWF kits

donoltman

I'm confused. When I read the description of the FWF kit is says that EVERYTHING is included. But when you look at the list, there are notes out to the side indicating for certain engines not the 540. There is also a note about engine mounts not being supplied for the 540. Can anyone tell me if in fact everything is included for a 540?

Also, when reading the description for the Hartzell blended airfoil it indicates that they will ship a constant speed prop and then down lower it encourages you to buy a governer. Huh? So is it 7100 for the prop and another 1200 for the governer? Sometimes the Vans accessory catalog is a bit confusing.
Thanks
Don

The prop govnor is included in the FWF kit. As far as I can remember everything was included with the FWF kit. I think what you are seeing in reference to the engine is that Van's only supplies components for the I0-540-D4A5 or 0-540-D4A5, the D4A5 behind the 0-540 stand for specific features/dimentions (I don't know I'm no engine guru).
I did chose to replace the firewall heat boxes for stainless steel rather than the alum. Van's provided. I also replaced the fuel valve with an Andair. Do a search and you will see other items others have deleted for better quality. The engine mount was included.
Ron

Most of the stuff you need is in the FWF kit. There were a few items that you should consider adding:

SlickStart
Steel AN Fittings (if you don't want to use the stock aluminum ones)
Alternator Belt (stock one doesn't fit)
Starter Relay (Master Relay too)

The fwf kit is one in which there are a lot of options and you'll get quite a few opinions on the right way to go. There is no correct decision, just the decision that is best for you.

Some folks have deleted the Vans supplied parts and substituted aftermarket parts for:

Oil/fuel lines
Oil cooler
Governor

Search the archives and you'll find many discussions that highlight these alternatives.

Oil/fuel lines
Vans upgraded their lines since I bought mine, but I dont think it includes the fuel lines- at least mine did not- made sure it was fire sleeved

Oil cooler
People have bought a larger oil cooler for areas of high summer heat- In california my oil temp are always in the high "normal"range of 200-210 and 180 in cruise so the stock works for me.

Governor
I have the American Made (PDU) governor- works very nicely. Whatever Vans sells (MTV) is probably fine.

I'm about 80% through connecting up everything to the engine. So far I haven't found anything that was not supplied. Oil lines are braided. Fuel lines are firesleeved. I added firesleeve to the control cables to help prevent heat degradation.

Anything to do with electrics (other than alternator) you either have to buy the electrical kit or your own components. Didn't have any problem with the alternator belt.

Stock IO540 D4A5 with MT 3-blade prop.

One more sector to do and then it's back to UK for 10 days to finish all that off :D - assuming my garage hasn't been washed away.........

paul,
If you have the dual pulley flywheel, then don't forget to check your alternator belt alignment. Non of us so far has had it align properly. It's difficult to see until you put a straight edge on it. Do a search on this forum for the subject.
Bill

Back