What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Informal poll re. biennual checks

gereed75

Well Known Member
Trying to gather some informal data:

How much do you typically pay for your biennial check ride???

Do you take it in your RV????

Appreciate all responses. Please try to limit thread drift. Thanks

Biennial

Just had mine last week. Slapped the foggles on at 200 feet and did the whole thing under the hood, shot some approaches and got a IPC at the same time. Cost $100.00, not bad.
Don

Varies

This will be tough to quantify and you'll get a variety of answers but will certainly get some data.

i know a couple of RVer's that are CFI's and will do it for nothing. Part of our Fraternity I guess. I know of prices from expenses only to $100 per hour.

Lots of variables. For me, my Part 135 check rides each year cover the requirement.

This will be interesting to follow. Great question!!!

I've done my last couple of BFR's in a CFI friend's 1946 Cub... Always paid him with a couple bottles of top-shelf distilled spirits ;)

As a CFI.

I'm usually administering BFR's for friends/family in which case they provide beverages at the days end that we share.

When they are not friends or family I try to barter and I will barter for anything. If I'm unsuccessful with bartering, I'll charge a flat rate of $250.00 to include any and all flights one might need in a 11 month period for any instruction needed for the FAA Wings program as well. If they plan well the can get a FAA Wings certificate near the end and that would count as a BFR as well. No extra charge for their planning and hard work during that 11 month period

BFR-s

...All the beer you can drink at the brewery next door to my hanger (Hanger 24 Brewery) in Redlands, Ca.
Usually not before the review if possible. Allan

Donation to local EAA chapter

Lucky enough to have a good CFI who does test flight instruction. Learn something new every time we go up :)

Several of my close friends are CFI's so I can't remember the last time I had to actually "pay" for a BFR.

As for the equipment used, it's usually whatever we have lying around or would be fun to fly for each of us. I try to fly something different every time. In the recent past it has been a Commanche 250, a Citabria, my Hiperbipe, and the last time it was a 180 HP C-170 we were taking on a weekend trip. It looks like the RV or Rocket is up next.

Coincidence...?

How timely, my BFR is at 4:30 today. It will be in my RV9 and $90 will go to the CFI. Of course, I would love to find someone who will do a quality job for less.

my last BFR was in May2010. I took a bunch of transition training in Oregon, so it cost about $2000 including training, beachfront rooms etc. The spousal unit seemed to appreciate it.

Next month I'm combining BFR with 8hrs of emergency maneuver training(super D), then aero work in my 7.

My last BFR was in a friends Super Chipmunk. He charged me fuel and a ride in my -9. Turns out we both thought the -9 was a better flying aircraft.

Barter. Most CFI's have an instrument rating they need to keep current. Unless you live somewhere that has enough miserable weather that your instructor gets all of the "actual IMC" time he/she needs, offer to be the safety pilot. More flying time for you both. :D

I guess I've had 8 or so BFR's over the years. I remember paying for one of 'em. I've had free ones from CFI's who just wanted a little RV time, same thing with a Lockheed test pilot. And then there are a couple of my friends who are CFI's and give good, free BFR's just to make sure their friends are flying smart and using good stick and rudder skills.

Around these here parts, getting a CFI willing to do a flight review in an -8 can be challenging. However, I have one who was OK with it once I installed rear rudder pedals. He says he can see the EFIS OK from back there. He charged me $75. I'm OK with that.

I guess I've had 8 or so BFR's over the years. I remember paying for one of 'em. I've had free ones from CFI's who just wanted a little RV time, same thing with a Lockheed test pilot. And then there are a couple of my friends who are CFI's and give good, free BFR's just to make sure their friends are flying smart and using good stick and rudder skills.

Ditto. Like some others have said, it may have cost a few meals or drinks but most of the time no money changed hands.

Back