What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mgregory176

Patron
Howdy all,

Been talking about this for a loooooooong time, but today we are official aircraft builders! My wife and i have watched this site over the last year and you are all a big part of the reason we decided on vans aircraft.

Any advice on how to get some
sleep between now and kit arrival?

Mike Gregory
Delaware

What did you buy?

Make darn sure you don't let the delivery driver leave until you carefully inspect the crate. My Fedex guy was driving away before I had even checked the crate. And yes, it was damaged. Likely speared with a fork truck. Broke the 1x crate over the HS spar.:mad:

Oops sorry...
I guess I should mention we bought the rv-10 empennage kit. # 40889. We got an older kit that had been sitting in the crate.

Welcome- you will love this place

I bet Mike Starkey was the first to welcome you...he is quick!!!!

While you are waiting...visit some local builders(van's will email or mail you a list), get the shop ready(tables, compressor, tools and lights), set up a family budget that everyone agrees on and stick to it. Pull all blue vinyl off while it is easy and re-number with sharpie. Decide whether to stay simple($150,000/2-4 years/1600 lbs) or go all out($200,000+/4-10 years/1750 lbs) or somewhere in between. Then don't let us or advertisers change your mind. Good luck with the build and ask lots of questions.

Welcome

Welcome aboard to VAF and as an RV builder/adventurer and one day an RV pilot. If you have lurking for a while then you know about the wonderful support you will gain as a member of VAF. The support and experience here is amazing. Congratulations on your RV decision.

Tail Kit

Welcome. Like you I bought a not started old kit, #282. Even after all those years it was in great shape although pulling plastic off was a bear. We pull trim conduit cables tomorrow, so it's pretty much done. Time for wings. I'm having a blast.
Don Oltman

Welcome to the group and the journey you will have building this plane. My suggestion to help you sleep is to read the manual several times over. If you don't have the manuals, download sections 1-5 from the Vans website. Take this time to purchase your tools, build your workbenches, set up your work area, and prepare your family and friends for your "lack of attention to other things not plane related".
Hope this helps:)

It's gonna be fun

Thanks for all of the advice. Shop and tools are well under way, and thankfully I was able to find a -10 builder over in Maryland who is working on his finishing kit, and one who is just starting his empennage. So it looks like the east coast is alive with RV's after all.

Terry and Pierre- AMEN!

The best part is my wife is with me on this! She signed up for ground school and wants to get her PPL. Once I get a site,up and running I'll post a link.

-Mike

Welcome to the fun..

Gregory,

Congratulations on pulling the trigger. I can really only speak for the tailkit, since that's what I'm still working on. Prepare yourself for many ups and a few downs. My advice: Keep in touch with other builders; let your wife help as much as she is willing (because this may change); don't be too hard on yourself if you screw up; plan ahead; and last but not least (and I'm surprised no one wrote this yet) read the plans, then read them again, then read them AGAIN before you do something wrong! The 10 plans are excellent, but there are still some places where head-scratching is in order, so remember the addage measure twice, cut once.. My $0.02.

Welcome to one of the greatest hobbies!!!!

One thing to keep in mind before the kit arrives is to make the shop as comfortable as possible. Also be sure to inventory carefully. When I got my kit there were a few very small items missing and had to go get them.

........and last but not least (and I'm surprised no one wrote this yet) read the plans, then read them again, then read them AGAIN before you do something wrong! The 10 plans are excellent, but there are still some places where head-scratching is in order, so remember the addage measure twice, cut once.. My $0.02.

Just like Mike said... read them once, let it sink in, read them again... repeat a couple of times. I screwed up on the very first step and had to buy a replacement part.

Also ask questions here. Builders are always eager to help you where they can or tell you if you are doing something wrong.

Enjoy the ride!

Back