What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your Rocket!

Lee
Dropping them would show a bit less tire but how much speed gain, if any, would be hard to say. If you are not happy with the look then change them. From the pictures they look a bit high but ok.
One possible change is to the stock lower gear faring. If you look at it there is a rather large frontal area that can be reduced quite a bit. I like smaller lower farings and on the top faring make sure it has a generous radius aft of the gear leg. To be effective these farings have to fit tight.
There is no doubt that the wheel pants and gear farings are good for 15 mph or so, and thus it makes sense to try and clean up an area from which obvious gains are possible.
You could also make sure the opening between the tire and wheel pant is as small as possible. A few guys have a rubber seal between the pant and the tire. It is a bit of a pain but I believe it holds some small gains.

..... I've read about (I've not done any side by side testing). I see something like 215 knots indicated level at 1,000' (during the summer). Don't know how that compares to Doug's 'faster' red Rocket (!), but 215 kias on a hot summer day = something like 247 mph. .......

.....I was pulling 22.4 inches MAP the other day at 10,500 trying to out climb the weather (I lost!) and we were honkin'! This thing is a bit of a beast---you gotta love Rockets!

Best of luck with your project; when it make the new changes I'll post up again.

Regards,

Lee...

Lee,

What power setting was giving you 215 KIAS down low?

22.5" at 10.5K is very impressive number!!! Even on a high Baro day... This is the secret to X/C performance.. Every inch you can recover is worth about 3.5 KTAS!!!

Mine engine is not as strong as it once was, but the red paint still makes it pretty fast... Come visit!!! I promise, I will hold back and let you win ;)

$$$$

Lee,

What power setting was giving you 215 KIAS down low?

22.5" at 10.5K is very impressive number!!! Even on a high Baro day... This is the secret to X/C performance.. Every inch you can recover is worth about 3.5 KTAS!!!

Mine engine is not as strong as it once was, but the red paint still makes it pretty fast... Come visit!!! I promise, I will hold back and let you win ;)

I see a visit to Rhonda in your future....bring a bucket of 50s & 100s...:eek:

Carry on!
Mark
Goin' to RENO, baby!

Doug: That 215 kias was with all three levers to the wall. Don't know how accurate that number really is, but is sure seems fast with all that noise, the 28 gph on the fuel flow meter, and the buzzards going by at a pretty good clip!

Can't confirm the 10,500', 22.5" MAP either, but that's what my EDM 900 said. Seemed like we were clipping along pretty good. I'll have to either run next to someone else one of these days or do one of those three sided ground speed tests. Probably run out of gas before I could get a sea level test at full power completed!

Red and blue side by side sounds pretty good!

Best wishes,

Lee...

Correct

The stock rocket pants are quite long so its not possible to get them to align perfectly in-flight and not have them drag on the ground. I have 380 tires and Van's wheelpants on mine. Since the wheelpants are shorter and the tire is taller, I was able to get mine oriented horizontally at an in-flight attitude and still have good ground clearance. As I recall someone did some tuft testing and found that the wheelpants can be misaligned quite a bit and still work well as far as speed goes.

Jon Sharp tested 'em, and 8 degrees offset showed they were still working good. Lee shouldn't see any degradation from his setup, except for the tire aspect. A rubber skirt on the fwd area will take care of that handily.

Nice shot, Lee. Looks like you have the big scoop, like Doug does? I guess it works on the smaller injectors too!

Carry on!
Mark
Goin' to RENO, baby!

Photos

Does anyone have photos of how you mount the rubber to cover any larger open area between the wheel pants and tire?

OOPS!

Does anyone have photos of how you mount the rubber to cover any larger open area between the wheel pants and tire?

I didn't take any pics of my install, but we simply used RTV to glue the baffle material (1/8" thick stuff with the threads in it) to the inside of the fwd section of the wheelpant. Clean the mating sfcs vigorously with acetone 1st. You can cut a complicated U section sort of piece, or do like we did and use 3 pcs to from the U. Install the pant section, and trim the rubba for a not too tight fit - it will rub the tire in service.

Carry on!
Mark

Can't confirm the 10,500', 22.5" MAP either, but that's what my EDM 900 said.

Bettter check the instrument. 10,500 PA would be roughly 20.3" static, and even 250 knots would only add a fuzz over 1" assuming 100% recovery.

Dan: Your math and my suspicions are the same---the MAP readout on my 900 must be reading high. Oddly enough though, it seems awfully close at lower power settings. Don't know why it would suddenly get so far off at WOT at altitude though. I usually see right around 30" plus a little on takeoff---although I seldom really check it since the rate of acceleration is a pretty good giveaway that the engine is producing good power.

If you get a chance at Triple Tree, look me up. Would be nice to meet you!

Regards,

Lee...

Lee,

At the risk of stating the obvious......

Check it on the ground with the engine off. Set the altimeter at 0 and read the pressure altitude. The M.P. gauge should read pressure altitude with the engine off.

Tailwinds,
Doug

Doug: I had to laugh at myself. I have the EDM individually switched so that it doesn't 'flash' during start. I start the engine first, then switch on the engine monitor in a couple of seconds. All this to say, that I usually don't know what the MAP is prior to start. I'll check it on Saturday on the way up to Triple Tree. Would be a good number to know.

Thanks for the input!

Lee...

4iy8mb.jpg

1znocgg.jpg

2hzjnyq.jpg

28be4jl.jpg

These are some photos of F1 C-GVVE, I don't own it but I did build it and flew it for 26 hours. It's the second one to fly with the 550 engine, great working plane. Now resides south of Calgary Alberta.

no aeros??!!??

Does that say aerobatics prohibited on the panel? On a Rocket?

Surely not

It's a standard placard that must be in place until an application is made to Transport Canada, along with a demonstration of certain aerobatic manoeuvres.

Typically, loops, rolls and spins are demonstrated, which covers (in combination) virtually all manoeuvres. Paper is submitted, fee is paid, placard is replaced.

V

C-GVVE

That's correct on the aerobatics, I never took it past the regulation 30 bank in those 26hrs, and by the way I have a large bridge for sale in downtown New York!!
Thanks for the note Paul, will have to talk and get up to date if I can make it to Stanley this year.

That's correct on the aerobatics, I never took it past the regulation 30 bank in those 26hrs, and by the way I have a large bridge for sale in downtown New York!!
Thanks for the note Paul, will have to talk and get up to date if I can make it to Stanley this year.

Yes Paul the engine is from Jason, worked great.

Been doing some photoshopping and have the following:

HR3 in banner format

HR3 in poster format

Last edited:
Very Nice F-1

Guys,

My HR2 and F16 bro "Slim" sent me this nice picture of Bill K's recently completed F-1. Thought I would share...
:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Not pretty, haven't settled on a paint job yet, but it sure felt nice to fly. First flight August 21, 2013.
Finished my tail wheel training about 5pm on the 20th, arrived home and the CofA was in the mailbox.
Woke up this morning, severe clear, no wind... what was I to do but strap it on and go fly.

Full Nomex flight suit including gloves plus leather boots and a helmet was worn... but not required!

A few snags, easy to fix.

Woo, Hoo!

20130821_0465.JPG

**update: Yes those are oversize 380-150-5 tires squeezed into the wheel pants with heavy-duty Grove dual-piston brakes.
Not exactly tundra tires, but it will get me into the local grass strip with "cheap" fuel.**

Last edited:
Mine flew too!!

Friday past, was nothing less than exhilarating!!

Keep on going!! It is worth it!!

#167 EVO with a Continental IO-550 N

Flew wonderfully... :p

2re1hj4.jpg

Hey, you copied my (lack of) paint scheme!

An IO-550? Are you planning on racing Mark Frederick? That's a lot of engine for such a small plane... yeah baby!

Good luck with the flight testing. Congratulations!

Thanks Randy and Vern!

Randy, I think your bird has roosted about 15 miles from me at Hensley Airpark??

Vern, I sent you a PM.

Greg

Perfect Bob!

I can't add much to that!!! :D Except that it is one of those "I'll paint that before I finish" things that didn't get painted before I finished!!!

Congratulations Vern! Looking forward to seeing your handiwork sometime.
I've built my wheel fairings to take the larger tyres also, but will wait til replacement time. Where is the field with the cheap gas. Ravenfield?

Nowhere close...

An IO-550? That's a lot of engine for such a small plane... yeah baby!
Vern,
That's what the General Dynamics engineers said about the prototype F16...
No worries, you can never have enough HP! Congrats from a former Rocketeer...

V/R
Smokey

# 23 finally painted

Just finished Rick Grays partially built Rocket an have it back from the paint shop. Looks pretty good if I can figure how to post
oshiys.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG

Last edited:
Awesome!!

Hey Ron,

I never would have sold the kit if I thought I could get to it :eek: :D!

Congrats on finishing the Rocket, the paint looks really nice :)!!

Looks like you did a great job, no surprise to me as your 8 was real nice :D!

I hope the Whirlwind 400C is working for you, I was super happy with it on my Rocket!

Have fun and fly safe.

Last edited:
Nice work!

That there is some nice work. Why not bring that one out to a few SARL events so we can see if Whirlwinds' claims are up to the test? Sure LOOKS like they might have something right!

Carry on!
Mark

Ron: Can I get some info on you, the airplane, engine, avionics, location, etc for the "Rocket List" I'm trying to compile?

Thanks!

Lee...

More info

Lee,
Here's some more info on my Rocket.
1. I think I am the 3rd owner of the kit, I bought it off Rick Gray, partially completed. #23
2. Color is Red, white an gold pearl imron. Paint shop was (3 in the green) located at kzer
3. 260 hp io-540 by Aero Engines of Winchester VA. 9.5 pistons, cold air sump.by Raven,duel lightspeed plasma 3 ign
4. Dual 7inch Dynon skyviews with all options, ADSB Transp ect.
5. PAR100EX an SL-30 coms
6. Whirlwind prop
7. Based at 9n7 PA

Many thanks to Rick Gray for lots of suggestions an advice, which I shamelessly used.
This is a fantastic airplane in all respects.
Presently building a Lockwood Aircam

Rocket info

Here are some more Pics of the panel as well as the interior. Although it's hard to see the quality of work done by Abby of Flightline Interiors, it was absolutely outstanding. It was a real pleasure to work with Abby an follow her suggestions. All on time an at a fare price.
wswydy.jpg

5cjgx.jpg

2gsfonr.jpg

Ron,
Beautiful airplane! I'm building an F-1 now from the last parts available build up a F-1 QB fuselage built be Marcus Goetting. I really like your wheel pants. Do you know if they are late F-1 sold by Mark or earlier Sam James wheel pants?
Thanks very much,
Brad

Thanks Ron,
I owned a F-1 for several years and those wheel pants looked like yours but the new ones I got from Mark are different. Thanks for the help,
Brad

Back