What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance 1000

184KS

I am considering the Lowrance 1000, there is a guy on eBAY selling them new for $500, Anybody out there using one of these, are you happy with it? Any big setbacks or reasons not to get one? Also I want to mount it in/on the panel, is this feasible? I used to have one of the (older)Avmap units, it would have been ugly to try and panel mount it.

Just in case you don't hear from Gary in Arlington, TX.
You can get a brand NEW Airmap 1000 at www.pilotmall.com for $499. They also have the Airmap 2000C right now for $749.
I'm waiting on my rebate coupon for my old original Airmap that I sent back to Lowrance. It's good for $175 off the 1000 or $225 off the 2000C and Pilot Mall will accept the rebate coupon.
They're good units, a little bulkier than the Garmin's. The 2000C comes with a "dash" mount that attaches to a swivel ball on the back of the unit. The Airmap's were the first to offer an obstruction database plus an extended runway centerline. In poor visibility it really comes in handy. You select the runway at your destination and it gives you a 5 mile extended centerline on the moving map.
There are two upgrades planned for release this year or early next year. One that I know of is Terrain Awareness, much like the new Garmin units have.
Just my 2 bits worth for you.

184KS: Yep, Mike covered everything I would have posted. I just received my Lowrance 1000 from Pilot Mall and it is awesome! The convenience of online ordering, ultra-fast shipping, and no sales tax was appealing to me. Not to mention that this $499 (from Pilot Mall) was MUCH cheaper than I found the 1000 anywhere else!

Speaking of...MIKE: you are more than welcome to use my 1000 as a 'loaner' until you get yours. I am dedicating what little free time I have right now to building, rather than flying :D It's just sitting here in the box. Just let me know and you are good to go (of course, the 'payback' may be an inflight tutorial one of these days, showing me all the features you have discovered) ????? :D

Take care,

I have an Airmap 1000 mounted in my 6A that is yet to fly (this fall)

848image195-med.jpg

This is a shot from the front of the instrument panel showing how I mounted it.

848image144-med.jpg

Shot from the cockpit side. It lends itself quite well to panel mounting.

Regards,

Airmap 1000

I am considering the Lowrance 1000, there is a guy on eBAY selling them new for $500, Anybody out there using one of these, are you happy with it?

Go to the "Search" link at the top of this page, input "Airmap 1000" and you will see several hits. Open the thread titled "GPS into autopilot" and there are some posts I made about my pleasant experience with the Airmap 1000 along with a link for a photo of the installation.

The "Search" feature is a rather useful tool...... :)

Sam Buchanan

Back